Heavy Housing as a carry on

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I have an aluminium DSLR housing. One handle is attached to it and it can not be removed without a tool. And removing it is a bit complicated.
So far I have travelled with it as a carry on. These days airport security is becoming more and more suspicious. My consern is, can that housing with a handle become a problem? Maybe security saying it can be used hitting somebody?
A few years back this happend to my friend. Security did not let him take large dive light in to the cabin. Its a veapon that can be used hitting, he was told.

In particular I am interested security policy in UK airports.

I know I could check everything but I would hate to spoil my trip in case my luggage gets lost....

I always carry on my camera gear. I have two wheeled 1510 Pelican cases (largest guaranteed carry on size). I roll one, and my wife rolls the other. I check the strobe arms, tools, and port rings buried in my clothes. To get everything to fit, I have to tear everything down, which is why I bring the tools. The only problem is that the pelican cases each weigh 14lbs EMPTY, and some airlines say that they are going to enforce a 15lb limit on carry ons. So far I have been lucky. I roll them on the plane and pretend that they are featherweights.

Packed in a case, the housing looks innocuous, but I wouldn't even think of trying to bring it with the handles attached. Then it really could be used as a club.

For years I have traveled with all of my systems checked, always with my fingers crossed...and with some systems, its a must. However 6 months ago after seeing a report by Eric Cheng on Wetpixel, I picked up the new Think Tank photo bags. Now with two carry ones, one backpack (Airport Acceleration 2.0) and the Urban Disguise 60, I can get my entire DSLR system packed for carry on, plus have room for my computer, hard drives, and reading material.

I have been questioned numerous times on what I was carrying, however I have never been told I cannot bring it on. Once they realize its an underwater camera, they are ok (even though they have sent it back and forth through X-ray a few times)

Of course this really all depends on your system. My carry on System consists of a Sea & Sea D300 housing, 2 camera bodies, dome port and macro port, 2 strobes, all arms, ttl covnerter, sync cords, 17" Macbook Pro, 2 hard drives, ipod and headphones...all in two bags. I know Eric was able to pack a Seacam system for a Canon MKIII, so Im pretty sure most systems would fit.

Both of these bags fit in even the smallest planes. 2 weeks ago I was in French Polynesia on a small island hopper. Roller bags did not fit, however my backpack fit in the overhead (once I removed my computer) and the Urban Disguise 60 fit under the seat. The great thing is both bags are VERY light so I am able to cram quite a bit in them.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom