Heated Wear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thermalution yellow grade plus owner. I did a bulk buy with a group of friends and to my knowledge we have all had issues with the cheap wires they use. Buzz buzz buzz oh great another $340 cad for batteries. The wires don’t last. I’ve also test dove the venture heat, the internal batteries are way too uncomfortable. While I appreciate the over engineered wires and connectors the bulky batteries are a no go.

I’m in the process of external batteries pack, bulkhead and vest. Everything else is a toy.

Interesting note about the issues.

To @wetb4igetinthewater's point, I'd wager that Warm 'n Safe heated motorcycle gear has vastly more hours of real world testing and use behind it than pretty much any underwater heated gear. I could be wrong. But, I would be willing to bet I have 10X as many hours in my Warm 'n Safe heated gear as anybody on this board has on a single set of underwater heated gear. So, is it REALLY that important to stick to scuba-specific heated undergarments? I'm gonna say that MY jury (in my head) is still out.

@wetb4igetinthewater my earlier comment was in regards to the OP's post and mine, neither of which has anything to do with using a battery pack inside the drysuit. Thus why your comments about the dangers of using non-scuba-specific don't seem relevant. At least, as I understand it, your point was about using a battery pack internal to the drysuit - which you could do with any heated gear, scuba-specific or not.

Now, if we were talking about battery packs, then yes, I would agree with you that you should stick to scuba-specific ones - whether it's internal or external to the drysuit. But that's not what was being discussed...

I see no problem in using non diving heated system if you're using battery canister with e/o cord.
You shoudn't be able to injure yourself badly if you're able to disconnect or turn off the battery.

Actually i'm currently testing my diy heated vest that has few dives on it, works fine and i enjoy longer dives more with it.
I'm sure that diy solution is far more sketchy than commersial motorcycle ones.

Interesting note about the issues.

To @wetb4igetinthewater's point, I'd wager that Warm 'n Safe heated motorcycle gear has vastly more hours of real world testing and use behind it than pretty much any underwater heated gear. I could be wrong. But, I would be willing to bet I have 10X as many hours in my Warm 'n Safe heated gear as anybody on this board has on a single set of underwater heated gear. So, is it REALLY that important to stick to scuba-specific heated undergarments? I'm gonna say that MY jury (in my head) is still out.

@wetb4igetinthewater my earlier comment was in regards to the OP's post and mine, neither of which has anything to do with using a battery pack inside the drysuit. Thus why your comments about the dangers of using non-scuba-specific don't seem relevant. At least, as I understand it, your point was about using a battery pack internal to the drysuit - which you could do with any heated gear, scuba-specific or not.

Now, if we were talking about battery packs, then yes, I would agree with you that you should stick to scuba-specific ones - whether it's internal or external to the drysuit. But that's not what was being discussed...

The problem is that some people won't read the thread in entirety but come away with "heated motorcycle vest good" not absorbing the distinction between external and internal battery packs.

If you are able to cut off the power to the external pack, then obviously there is no danger of burns during a malfunction. But again to my initial statement in this post.

I dove this jacket today. I wore a Marino wool long sleeve underneath it and a 4th element expedition over top. As per manufacturers recommendation of base layer and something overtop.
I could not feel any heat from it, however the gloves worked. And yes it is wired correctly and working. Battery is fine as well. Just couldn’t feel the heat. I’ll try again tomorrow with a lighter base.
I think I may need something directly on the skin.

I dove this jacket today. I wore a Marino wool long sleeve underneath it and a 4th element expedition over top. As per manufacturers recommendation of base layer and something overtop.
I could not feel any heat from it, however the gloves worked. And yes it is wired correctly and working. Battery is fine as well. Just couldn’t feel the heat. I’ll try again tomorrow with a lighter base.
I think I may need something directly on the skin.

I feel that way sometimes with my motorcycle gear. You might not be able to feel it, but you would probably really feel the cold if it was NOT working. Did you try either turning it off, to see if you could tell the difference after a while? Or, waiting to turn it on until you could really feel the cold?

Another thing is that heated gear does really need to be snug. On my motorcycle, a heated jacket liner that fits like a normal jacket (i.e. kind of loose) is not very useful. One that fits snugly is pretty much mandatory. That and an insulating layer over it to hold the heat in.

I dove a Warm & Safe heated shirt and SF glove liners today.
Men's 12V Heat Layer Shirt
Water temp was about 45.
The shirt is very comfortable to wear and with a Fourth Element Arctic Expedition overtop the performance is very good.
I did 2 - 25 minute dives to configure gear... and then a 45 minute dive.
Thank you @stuartv for the link to Warm & Safe.

I dove a Warm & Safe heated shirt and SF glove liners today.
Men's 12V Heat Layer Shirt
Water temp was about 45.
The shirt is very comfortable to wear and with a Fourth Element Arctic Expedition overtop the performance is very good.
I did 2 - 25 minute dives to configure gear... and then a 45 minute dive.
Thank you @stuartv for the link to Warm & Safe.

That is great to hear! Warm & Safe is a small business that targets motorcyclists (mostly). I've been using their gear for years and I am happy to hear the shirt is working well for under a drysuit. I received my W&S shirt also, but I don't yet have a battery pack, controller, or Vega valve for my suit, so it will probably be a bit before I get to try mine out. But, I really like W&S gear and the company owner, so, honestly, I hope this turns into something that boosts his business a little bit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom