Heart Rate vs SAC Rate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

do it easy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I suppose this is more of a general question about the physiology of breathing.

Is it possible to have a high heart rate but a low breathing rate, or vice versa? Would this necessarily produce CO2 buildup? How are the heart rate and breathing rate connected?

I noticed shortly after running or biking, it will feel like my heart rate is elevated, but my breathing rate is closer to normal. I think the breathing rate is mainly triggered by CO2, but why doesn't the heart get the message right away? Is there some other mechanism at work?

Interesting question. If I run as fast as I can my breathing rate goes dramatically If I jog it doesn't go up that much. They are differnt types of activity but, I don't know the science.

The discrepancy has much to do w/ the conditioning of your body to exertion, the type of exertion and to how much lung reserve you have.

The really good thing is that you are heathy and exercise so as to stay that way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom