Heart medication and its effect on diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rickpreve

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello, I am a 57 year old Divemaster with nearly 600 dives experience.

During a routine medical check up in May I was found to have a heart eyection fraction (EF) of 30% (normal is 50-70%). I have stopped diving.

After months of testing, the cause was listed as "unknown". I was put on medication and after one month of treatment I was up to 40%.

Assuming that my EF eventually returns to normal, can I resume diving while on the following meds and dosages?

Bisoprolol 5 mgs x day, ramipril 5 mgs x day, eplerenona 12.5 mgs x day
I will probably need to continue to take these in the future...

Any comments or referral to someone in Europe the US who may be able to help me would be great... thanks so much everyone!

Hi Rick,

As you no doubt know, an EF of 30% can be life-threatening, and one of 40% is still well below normal & worrisome.

As regards your meds, bisoprolol is beta-blocker and may reduce maximum exercise tolerance.

Obviously you have a long way to go before safe scuba is a reasonable possibility. Should your EF eventually return to the normal range, you may wish to ask your cardiologist about an exercise stress test. If you are a candidate for one, your results should comport with the following guidelines --> http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/diving-medicine/493835-1-how-many-mets-should-rec-diver-able-handle.html?highlight=mets

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom