HeadWorn Flashlights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
hey,

I was wondering if anyone used flashlights that attach to the goggle or are headworn??

Do such lights improve visibility or not??

-n

The problem with such lights in diving is that each time you look at your buddy to check on them or give them a hand signal you blind them.

Chad

For commercial diving where I need my hands free to work and still to light and video the job.

They are also popular with sump divers who are usually solo and often can't get their hands to where they could use them to point a light.

For buddy diving head mounted lights can be a problem as it is way too easy to blind your buddy.

With head mounted lights is back scatter.

The closer the lights are to your eyes the more the stuff in the water reflects light back into your eyes.

Just like in photography, it is often better to light from the side.

The exception is when you are looking for reflective patches on divers or equipment. Then having the light closer to your line of sight is an advantage.

thanks everyone!

I had a feeling that the light would scatter and reflect off the goggle lense and impede visibility. I was just unsure and wanted to verify my hypothesis with real life scenarios!

-n

Back
Top Bottom