Heading to Turneffe Flats

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Barry Goode

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'll be there a week a from now.

I'd like to hear any suggestions/advice from divers who have stayed at Turneffe Flats. Must-do dive sites?

Also, the info the resort sent me talked about tipping & other things to pay for in cash. My question is do the rooms have a safe? If not where did you keep your cash?

The lack of response to this thread underscores that you must write a trip report about TF when you return, complete with top-side photos so we can get a look at the place.

Have a great trip.

I've never stayed there but I've driven by it.
Turneffe is some of the best diving here in my opinion.
Not sure what you're into but the south tip of Turneffe is one of the fishiest spots I've ever seen. Including Tubbataha and Sipadan.
You have to be in the right spot to find them...but they're there.

The one site I would really lobby for would be The Terrace, on the west side of the atoll. When we were at the Flats several years ago, we were the only two divers, and had a boat, a guide, and a captain all to ourselves the entire time. Since they cater to fishing primarily, hopefully you will have the same experience. The diving staff has turned over since we were there, so can't help you with any names.

Other dive sites to consider would be Hollywood Shallows, upper east side, great third dive, absolutely brilliant colors and vibrant fish life; and Tubes and Barrels, lower west side, another great third dive, with interesting structure, schools of fish, and a couple of encrusted cannon (if you can find them).

Can't remember if we had a safe in the room, but felt very secure the entire trip we were there.

Returning is one of the top priorities on our diving list, and we are jealous. As we understand there have been significant changes over the past couple of years, a comprehensive trip report would be great.

Sorry for the delay in posting, just got back from a week in PA, Mexico

Have fun!

I got back from Turneffe Flats a week ago. It was a great dive trip. I stayed in cabin #1. It was clean & quiet. A couple times I had to wait for the water pressure in the shower to pick up but no big deal. The rooms do have safes. The doors have locks on the inside only so you can lock yourself in but when you leave it's open. However, with so few people there & a safe in the room it's no problem. There's no TV or fridge in the rooms, but I saw some guests with coolers & ice on their patio.

The food & drinks there were quite good. Staff & service was excellent. Really friendly people.

The most divers we had all week (3 dives/day) was 6, so on the 48 foot Ms. Ellie there was plenty of room. When we had fewer divers we'd take a smaller boat which was fine except when there were white caps (then it was a bit of a pounding).

We went to many dive sites including the Blue Hole & Half Moon Caye (where the gazillion birds nest). We also dove The Elbow, Tunnels & Barrels, etc. Visibility was at least 80 ft. We saw many spotted eagle rays & toward the end of one dive five came by us in formation (like flying geese). On one dive I saw two reef sharks. There are large barracuda and lots of large green morays (that stay out of the reef & just cruise around it during the day time so you can follow them for a long time).

At our dive near half moon caye, we all got in & were about to descend when 5 dolphins swam right by us. It was awesome. There are plenty of lion fish here now. I saw them on every dive (one was a big as a grouper!) I'm surprised the dive masters don't spear & remove them like they do in so many places I've dove in The Caribbean. They will take over. I also spotted a toadfish which really excited by dive master. He said this kind can only be found in Belize.

On the last dive we were doing our safety stop when the largest turtle (Loggerhead) I've ever seen swam by us. I asked our dive master how old it would have to be to get that big. He said around 200 years old.

Warnings: If you stay at Turneffe Flats, do not lay out on their beach. There are sand (mites?) that are too small to see or feel but they sting you like crazy. The next day it will look like a rash. They have sunning areas up on the deck by the pool & that would be a better choice. All the structures out there are built on stilts above the ground (I assume to make the pests not an issue).

I was also surprised to discover that there are crocodiles and boa constrictors out on the atoll. Another one of the guests showed me pictures of 4 different crocs he took at night as well as a picture of his daughter holding a 6 ft. Boa.

I always think of Belize as "where the wild things are".

Sounds like you had a great time. We really want to get back to the Flats. Your diving sounds very similar to our experience there a couple of years ago, although we are jealous about the dolphin pod sighting.

Thanks for the report!

Back
Top Bottom