Heading to Leyte - has anyone taken a night ferry from/to Hilongos?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

regina55

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,
I was googling to figure out how to get to Southern Leyte (Sogod bay) from Cebu pier and found this : Cebu to Leyte and Samar Travel Routes, Fastcraft and Boat Schedule

it is obvious the fastest way is to take Weesam express which takes 3 hours only. unfortunately however it doesn't work with my flight schedule - departing at 2pm from CEB to MNL. so I thought the only option left for me was to take a ferry departing from Hilongos, run by Roble shipping lines. I came across some pics of the ferry and found a lot, a lot of beds were displayed in rows in the cabin. (fyi here's the pics : Roble Shipping Inc. | Our Fleet ) then I started to have a doubt if it really takes 3.5 hours only to Cebu. why would it be necessary to lie on bed just for 4 hours trip?

I'd like to hear from anyone who has taken the night ferry. or would there be better ways to return to Cebu ? any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Travelling on night ferry in Philippines never appeal to me. I always avoid it by leaving a day earlier even though it costs me an extra day of diving. Anyway..
1. Your flight depart at 14:00
2. Your ferry is scheduled to arrive around 03:00. What harm would it be if the boat takes extra 3.5hrs to arrive in Cebu? You still have a lot of time to catch the flight in the afternoon. Unless you have other plan in mind.
3. The dive operator in Southern Leyte should be able to advice you on this.

Enjoy the diving.

Your ferry is scheduled to arrive around 03:00. What harm would it be if the boat takes extra 3.5hrs to arrive in Cebu? You still have a lot of time to catch the flight in the afternoon. Unless you have other plan in mind
I'd rather travel more easily accessible places near Cebu if the overnight ferry transfer is not a good idea for a female traveling solo. I don't have any plans in Cebu but just want to sleep properly at night. in that sense I am okay with 2-3 hours ferry ride but not sure about longer duration. this won't be a problem if I arrive in the pier before 1~2am.
I've thought of leaving leyte a day earlier but I would have only two diving days.. so... still thinking. :)

I do not like the idea of night ferry because of weather. Single female traveller is not a issue unless she wants attention!
If you do decide to take the night ferry and the boat does arrive on schedule. You better have a plan where you want to go because the pier is certainly not a place to hang around at that time in the morning! Get a taxi to the hotel of your wish. You host in Leyte should be able to suggest few of them.
Travelling all the way to Sogod Bay for three days of diving is certainly very short. I can fully understand your reluctance to leave a day earlier.

Make sure you dive the pier at night if it is available.

you will love leyte and wish you could have stayed longer. the ferry out of hilongos isn't an issue, day or night, as long as the weather is cooperating. concur with centrals - like the docks in any city you don't want to be hanging or wandering around alone at night. male or female. stay close to the pier to get a taxi. yes the ferry only takes 3.5 hours - it's a straight line from hilongos to cebu. from maasin the weesam or cokaliong ferry first travels a considerable distance north to avoid running into bohol.
the cokaliong sloooooow ferry leaves maasin at midnight friday and wednesday, arriving cebu 8-9 hours later, or 10 pm sunday arriving 6/7 am. if one of these days matches your departure from leyte it's a good option.
the web site you linked to is inaccurate, as least as far as the cokoliong ferry is concerned. confirm departure times with your dive op in maasin.
tip for either the robles or cokaliong - travel in tourist compartment, not on the deck in economy, and request a lower bunk. don't forget to pick up your blanket from the steward at departure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom