Heading to Belize!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tim-O

Registered
Reaction score
Heading to Belize in May - first time to Belize and looking for some inside help! My girlfriend and I tend to visit some place new each trip, so I am looking for the things that are must see/do and the things to avoid.

Can any of you help w/ recommendations? I know there is some good stuff on the forum, I have read much of it, but several of the threads are pretty dated as well.

Help w/ resturants, sites to see on land and most importantly dive ops/dive sites.

We are staying at Coco Beach Resort on Ambergris. Will be traveling with another non-diving couple (that would be intersted in snorkle trips if could be combined with diving). While I am a bit of a foodie, we are big fans of the laid back beach bar atmosphere as well.

While my girlfriend and I are both comfortable in the water, we dive to relax and unwind, so we aren't looking for anything advanced. We are looking for an op that tends to keep groups small, and has fun safe trips. OP should be photo'g friendly.

Since it is the first trip, and I know it is of a tourist trip, we expect to get a blue hole trip in as well.

Thanks in advanced for any pointers (or things to skip/avoid).

Sounds like you're going to the right place. San Pedro has laid back beach bars, good restaurants and pretty easy diving most days. 5 minute boat ride out over the reef and you're in the water.
The Blue Hole is a long trip though. Since you mentioned you're not into anything advanced, you might want to skip that one. It's not really a beginner dive. 130 feet is pretty normal for that to see the caverns.

And there is good snorkeling at Hole Chan Marine Reserve and Shark Ray Alley just south of town.

Hi Tim,
We are a small group of divers heading down to Belize in May as well , however we are staying at Ramons Village Resort. We also prefer a laid back atmosphere w/ good food and wine, so we will have our own boat w/ the same operators for the duration of our trip. I think this makes for a more personal and safe diving experience. I'm not sure if it is possible to dive w/ us if you're not staying at Ramons but I can certainly ask as we have really good group rates and I understand they are top notch. If you have'nt already booked your dive operation, let me know and I'll see if you can jump onboard with us. Take care, Marcie

Heading to Belize in May - first time to Belize and looking for some inside help! My girlfriend and I tend to visit some place new each trip, so I am looking for the things that are must see/do and the things to avoid.

Can any of you help w/ recommendations? I know there is some good stuff on the forum, I have read much of it, but several of the threads are pretty dated as well.

Help w/ resturants, sites to see on land and most importantly dive ops/dive sites.

We are staying at Coco Beach Resort on Ambergris. Will be traveling with another non-diving couple (that would be intersted in snorkle trips if could be combined with diving). While I am a bit of a foodie, we are big fans of the laid back beach bar atmosphere as well.

While my girlfriend and I are both comfortable in the water, we dive to relax and unwind, so we aren't looking for anything advanced. We are looking for an op that tends to keep groups small, and has fun safe trips. OP should be photo'g friendly.

Since it is the first trip, and I know it is of a tourist trip, we expect to get a blue hole trip in as well.

Thanks in advanced for any pointers (or things to skip/avoid).

Thanks Marcie!

When will you be there? We are going 25 May through 1June.

Hi Tim,
We are a small group of divers heading down to Belize in May as well , however we are staying at Ramons Village Resort. We also prefer a laid back atmosphere w/ good food and wine, so we will have our own boat w/ the same operators for the duration of our trip. I think this makes for a more personal and safe diving experience. I'm not sure if it is possible to dive w/ us if you're not staying at Ramons but I can certainly ask as we have really good group rates and I understand they are top notch. If you have'nt already booked your dive operation, let me know and I'll see if you can jump onboard with us. Take care, Marcie

Hi Tim, my girlfriend and I will be staying at the Coco Beach Resort March 18-24. I think we are going to be using the on site operator, Tuff E Nuff. I'll let you know how it goes.

I would also flag the blue hole trip as a maybe, not a must do. It is a really a "destination" dive: been there, done that, bought the t shirt type of dive. Great to brag about, but not an interesting dive at all. We do Belize on a live aboard and very few people repeat the dive.

You should be careful to enquire about the travel time, some of the slower boats take up to 2 hours for the 1 way trip.

The fastest boats can just do it in two hours, some others take 30-60 minutes longer.

Coco beach and Ramon's are really too for from each other for it to be practical to dive together.

I very much enjoy the Blue hole dive, though it is true, I wouldn't trek all the way out there from Ambergris caye to do only that dive. But the two follow up dives are fantastic too and lunch on Halfmoon Caye is hard to beat. Lovely way to spend a day. I've one it 10+ times and will return.

We will be there May 14 to 24 staying at the Blue Tang Inn for the dive part of the trip and diving with Chuck & Robbies.
Staying at Martha's Guest House the inland portion of the trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom