Heading out for a dive - exposure question first....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crimson Ghost

Contributor
Reaction score
Not too sure on Exposuire values and was wondering if someone could recommend the correct EV for my Sealife DC500.

currently The EV is 0.0 but in the past I *think* I had it set at -2.0. My 7 year old was "tinkering" in the menu so I am not sure what the setting use to be. So I thought i would just ask you all :)

Thanks !

Exposure values are pretty much like any other setting in your camera. It all depends on the conditions of the water, visibility, depth, if its a sunny or cloudy day, and so on.

Exposure values usually go from -2 to +2. Personally I never go over 0, since it causes my pictures to be overexposed. So depending on the conditions I can go -0.5 to -1 but usually not further. Again, that depends on the camera and the conditions.

Hopefully someone with your camera here can give you more specific pointers.

okay, thank you.

So if its a bright sunny day in perfeectly clear water, I would want a -2 setting ? and if its cloudy or stired up water i want to advance the setting to 0. Would I set it to +2 if I am out at dusk?

I am in the Caymans with very clear water on a sunny day -- I'll set it to -2 for today. Thank you !

If you are talking about exposure compensation settings (And the +2.0 to-2.0 range mentioned suggests this) they are used to lighten or darken an exposure beyond what the camera would normally adjust to. Unless you know the camera shoots too light or dark in a specific situation you typlcally don't mess with them (ie--set to 0). What exposure mode are you using? If it's Auto or Program it should do fine in varying light conditions and you shouldn't have to change the +/- compensating settings. That said, a lot of folks tweak their shots with this adjustment setting because they find the camera requires the correction in certain lighting or they just want a lighter or darker exposure for effect. // ww

Thanks. I am going to set it just a tad lighter .5 probably as some of my dive shots could have been lighter. I appreciate the feedback !!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom