Headed to S.E.Asia, India &...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rich G

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Western Australia. We leave in a week and will be abroad for six months, we are flying in to Kuala Lumpur and will be using a friends place as a base but we will be mostly be backpacking from place to place. We will carry minimum gear probably just regs, puters & masks, renting everything else we need localy.
We are looking for some no hassels trips of 2-5 days in length.
Please suggest some must do dives!

Many Thanks!

yah, after March the good no hassle trips from peninsular Malaysia are to Tioman, Aur, Perhentian, Redang & Tenggol islands off the east coast. The jumping off point for the first two places is Mersing and the others are up closer to Terengganu from Marang, Kuala Besut up to Jertih. Shops in Singapore also offer convenient weekend trips there. Also available in that time are the Gulf of Thailand sites like Koh Tao and Koh Samui.

Before April, better convenient diving is easily available from places like Phuket and Krabi in Thailand. I don't know about India and I'd worry about travel / diving in Sri Lanka at the moment.

Better diving will also be available around Borneo and Indonesia but I am not sure if these are on your itinerary. If they are, let us know and I am sure we can recommend some good places.

Thanks all!
Hey Zippsy! Yes, Borneo and Indonesia are on the itinerary. We were also planning on going to Bali.
Thanks everyone! Please keep the good info coming!

If you are going to Borneo and Indonesia, Sipadan, Mabul, Kapalai, Layang Layang, Mataking, Lankayan, Tunku Abdul Rahman Marine Park, Manado, Lembeh Straits, Komodo, Raja Ampat, Pulau Weh..... and a zillion others.

Here are some to whet your appetite. http://www.finsonline.com/index.php/destinations/

Actually, a number of resorts in Perhentian opened starting 01-Feb, but the number of boat departing from Kuala Besut is very limited. After 15-Feb, there opening will be even more. Redang resorts mostly will open from 01-March. Tioman and islands in Johor are already opening mainly because they are quite sheltered from the monsoon. I've received confirmation for 16-17 Feb for Rawa Safaris but could not go due to work committment.

As said above, you should be looking at trips from KL to places like Sipadan, Layang Layang, Phuket, Bali, North Sulawesi - all just a hop skip and a jump away. I wouldn't bother much with peninsular Malaysia unless time restricts and you just want a day or two getting wet.

Check the signature links for more

Back
Top Bottom