headed to MA in April

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rivers

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm headed back home to MA for a couple of weeks in April. I'm planning on taking my dive kit (minus tanks and weights) with me because I feel like doing a little bit of diving while I'm home. Just wondering what some good fundies level sites are as well if it's possible to rent a set of manifolded doubles or should I just bring my single tank set-up? Also, what's the average water temp and vis like in April? I'm not worried as I currently dive in the UK and for the most part it's cold with a meter or 2 of vis if you're lucky. Last sea dive I did was 'Hmmm, i wonder where this wreck is... Oh there it is (as I hit it)'.
I'll be based in Worcester, but will have access to a car, so travel to the coast won't be an issue.

I saw your post on a couple of FB groups but now that I'm not on my phone I can shoot you some more information.

As far as dive sites go, there are a ton of shore sites on Cape Ann and a bunch of boat dives all within your range. With regards to renting a set of doubles, there are a few shops that might, and if not I'm sure there are some people around that would lend you a set. Fills are another issue all together. Air is no problem, but there aren't too many places that will fill nitrox. Off the top of my head, South Shore Divers in Weymouth, United Divers in Sommerville, North East Scuba in Chelmsford and Andys (not sure where they are located) all do. As the date aproaches, post again on both of the FB groups and again here and I'm sure you'll have no issue finding a buddy or two. There are a few people with GUE training in the area that I'm sure would be more than welcome to dive with you.

Andy's is in Fitchburg and they do nitrox. I am not sure about the doubles.

I know the Gauntlet out of Salem dives year round' and they're using twinset all the time. RESEARCH VESSEL GAUNTLET

If I diving the shore @ Cape Ann I would opt for a single, unless I were going off a boat because hauling around that much weight for a bimble is work IMO. Especially for something like 60' max. As per temperatures - April is a bit on the colder side, but then again you're out of the UK so easey peasey. Especially if you are/were diving Weymouth/Dover/Quarry etc.

Cheers,

X

Andy's is in Fitchburg and they do nitrox. I am not sure about the doubles.

I can't swear to it, but I think that Andy's rents doubles. Definitely worth contacting them to find out. The folks that work there are fantastic to deal with. Definitely my favorite shop around.

Kristopher

Back
Top Bottom