Headed to Cozumel May 15-21

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JUSTIN44

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Myself, wife and 2 young kids are heading to Cozumel in May (15-21). I'm curious if any other divers are going to be out there at that time. My wife is no longer a scuba diver so I'm looking to see if anyone needs a dive buddy (I have a little over 40 dives)
Cheers!

Myself, wife and 2 young kids are heading to Cozumel in May (15-21). I'm curious if any other divers are going to be out there at that time. My wife is no longer a scuba diver so I'm looking to see if anyone needs a dive buddy (I have a little over 40 dives)
Cheers!
For Scubaboard divers, stay tuned; someone will start a May roll call thread before too long. For divers in general, are you kidding? :D

You should not have a problem with partners. All the diving I have done in Cozumel has been done in a group. Not to say that one can not get separated from the group depending on how they handle the currents. You can stay close to the DM or get an instabuddy on the boat on the ride out. Not trying to make light of your situation but it shouldn't be a big deal.

Just seconding what @Karloss said. Don’t worry about it too much.

In Cozumel and most other places the buddy system tends to be relaxed after your first few dozen dives. Either you can find an informal buddy on the boat or just stick close to the divemaster. If you haven’t been diving in a while you might want to consider asking for a private divemaster on your first day back or see if you can do an afternoon refresher shore dive before heading on the boat.

All boat diving in Cozumel will have a guide, so the main thing is to follow him or her and don’t wander off or get far ahead of them in the current. I see a lot of newbies swim in front of the divemaster which is bad thing for multiple reasons (it’s kind of difficult for someone to lead the group from behind )

Thanks for the feedback. I'm interested in the May roll call and will be checking that out for sure
While I'm OK with meeting informal buddy/buddies on the boat out, its more fun for me to have a a formal buddy. The suggestion about asking for a private divemaster or an afternoon refresher are good ones. Thanks

While I'm OK with meeting informal buddy/buddies on the boat out, its more fun for me to have a a formal buddy.
The odds are not favorable in finding one with similar views on various aspects of diving. More of a learning experience, including self care. My home bud pretended to agree with me, but wasn't dependable. I got a pony bottle 20 years ago.
The suggestion about asking for a private divemaster or an afternoon refresher are good ones. Thanks
Excellent suggestion.

Cheers!
40 dives aren't a lot, especially if they aren't recent (past year or so). Maybe try hiring a private DM for your first trip to knock off the rust. You will probably then get to know others on the boat and figure out how you may buddy up after that

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom