Headed to Cozumel....again

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HiterSixOne

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Headed out in a couple weeks. Had a question or two for the experienced travel divers in regards to packing.

I am only planning at this time to take my BCD (DSMB and Reel), Regs, Mask, snorkel and 3mil wetsuit. Leaving behind fins, weights, and dive saving kit. We will be diving with Five House from our resort and it looks like I can easily get fins and weights from them.

Is this good thinking? Why or why not? 3mil wetsuit too much for this time of year, maybe just rash guard?

When you travel do you keep your regs in your carry-on or throw them in with your checked baggage?

I know I could most likely rent everything at the resort, but I like using my own gear when I can as I am familiar with it and my emergency procedures with it.

Thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.

Snorkel? I almost always wear trunks and t-shirt, maybe a 3/2 shortie in winter but I don't know your tolerance. I throw my regs into checked. They are old. And most everything else. Cameras and Shearwater in carry-on.

Everyone is different temperature-wise, but as for me I'd take my 3/2 full wetsuit. I like to have full coverage just in case of jellyfish, or currents or crowds that might cause contact with narrow swim-throughs or a brush against wrecks, etc., plus to me it helps keep warm between dives too this time of year.

I usually bring fins with 2mm short boots also. I'm not familiar with that dive op, but many only rent full-foot fins (which don't generally accommodate boots). Not an necessarily (see below) an issue with boat diving, but with Cozumel's iron shore entries I like to have those short boots and fins for snorkeling from the beach, shore diving, or just entering the water -- plus makes it more comfortable for me to climb the boat ladders with full gear on.

I keep my regs in a reg bag inside my hard-shell check-in bag. I also like to bring my main light for night dives and my small backup light that stays on my BCD for peeking into holes, etc. We love night dives in Cozumel, and always see lots of interesting things on them. I usually put my bigger light with charger, and also my dive computers, in my carry-on bag.

Take fins. Why rent them? You nay need them snorkeling. 3 mil is fine. If too warm leave back zip open. Water temp in late Nov will be 81-2. If doing multiday dives you may need it (depending on how much bioprene you have on). Some will say rash guard, some will chime in at a 5 or 7 mil... Better to have and not need. Me, I use a 5 mil unzipped above 82 and because I only have 1 wetsuit and I get cold easy .

We take a carry-on bag that has all the small heavy stuff (reg, wetsuit, dive computer, flashlight, SMB...). Our (my) carry-on is 30+ lbs. Wife has backpack with passports, electronics (phones, tablet), refilable water bottle and room to ditch the jackets.

I'm headed down on Saturday all I'm planning to take is my 1.5 mill top

I like having all of my own gear and only use weights and tanks from the operator

I always travel with my mask, computer and regs in carryon- with swimsuit and T-Shirt just in case my main bag gets lost/delayed- those are the equipment I like to have of my own. I always bring my own fins also (checked bag), as others said a snorkeling opportunity may arise, and I figure they do not take up that much extra space.

I always do full 3mil-even for tropical waters- for me it is about cut/abrasion/sting protection and I like to do as many dives as I can, so try to stay warm.

Reactions: L13
Awesome! Thanks everyone this was very helpful. I should have noted I do plan to take my boots as well, for the shore entries when just snorkeling. My understanding is from our resort, Sunscape Sabor, we can not shore dive. I have also been told to shore dive I'd need to go near Hotel Cozumel in San Miguel.

For me I always wear a full wetsuit. It provides protection against fire coral and other stinging organisms in the water. Exposure protection is always going to be a very personal tolerance thing. I use a full 5mm wetsuit in the tropics but I get cold quite easily.

If anything - I'd use a full dive skin or full 3mm. Personally don't think it's too much. You can always fix too warm by letting water into the suit. It's hard to fix too cold.

Skip the snorkel. You dont really need them for Cozumel diving and your dive operator likely has 100 of them in their rental fleet.

Bring your own fins unless you are trying to get away with carry-on only. I always travel with fins since most places rent pretty crappy snorkeling fins that dont have a lot of power. Your personal fins are likely much better quality than they have available.

I have also been told to shore dive I'd need to go near Hotel Cozumel in San Miguel.
For shore diving you would just need to go north of the southern cruise ship piers. It's pretty good at Blue Angel, but be advised that from shore you cannot get to any of the major reefs. It's mostly small isolated coral heads and rubble piles.

In winter months, we bring boat coats. Best way to stay warm on the surface. Water often feels warmer than the air and getting back in for dive 2 is a relief.

We bring our fins but they are the biggest space hog after BCD. We dive full-foot fins and skip the booties.

My preferred shore dives, in order are: Tikila across from Casa del Mar, Blue Angel, Hotel Barracuda, Hotel Cozumel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom