Headaches and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bluebanded goby

Contributor
Reaction score
Today while seeing a family doctor conversant in diving medicine issues, I mentioned various health issues that had cropped up over the past year or so to make sure they didn't pose any problems for diving. At one point I mentioned that after being largely headache-free most of my life, I'd experienced some significant headaches in the past year (at age 55) that seemed to be associated with exercise of various forms. In particular, on a recent dive or two I developed a bad headache during the dive that persisted for some time afterwards that I couldn't explain from usual reasons such as sinus problems, skip breathing, cold water, exposure to engine exhaust, etc.

He said, "Well, generally I wouldn't be too concerned about headache during most forms of exercise, but if you get one while diving you should stop immediately, and get back to me."

Now, a few hours later, I'm wondering what he was getting at here. I'll make a point of asking him the next time I'm in touch, but I wonder if anyone can speculate what might have been his concern? I don't think he was talking about a headache as a DCS symptom; I've also looked at lists of headache types such as the one here, and am not seeing anything that would call for stopping and refraining from diving. Any thoughts on what he might have been getting at?

Today while seeing a family doctor conversant in diving medicine issues, I mentioned various health issues that had cropped up over the past year or so to make sure they didn't pose any problems for diving. At one point I mentioned that after being largely headache-free most of my life, I'd experienced some significant headaches in the past year (at age 55) that seemed to be associated with exercise of various forms. In particular, on a recent dive or two I developed a bad headache during the dive that persisted for some time afterwards that I couldn't explain from usual reasons such as sinus problems, skip breathing, cold water, exposure to engine exhaust, etc.

He said, "Well, generally I wouldn't be too concerned about headache during most forms of exercise, but if you get one while diving you should stop immediately, and get back to me."

The thread you linked to covered it very well. All sorts of things can cause a headache while diving, including (but not limited to) contaminated air, CO2 retention, a mouthpiece that doesn't match your bite and biting too hard. The last two actually cause jaw pain, but sometimes it's hard to figure out exactly what hurts.

I obviously have no idea specifically what your doc was talking about. Maybe you should give him a call and ask him what he was thinking.

Terry

Thanks, Terry. Obviously no one can read my doc's mind. I will indeed follow up on him in a few days when I have the opportunity.

But I guess, to be more precise, the question I was trying to ask is: "Is there a kind of headache that would call for immediately stopping diving if it were to occur on a dive?"

Thanks, Terry. Obviously no one can read my doc's mind. I will indeed follow up on him in a few days when I have the opportunity.

But I guess, to be more precise, the question I was trying to ask is: "Is there a kind of headache that would call for immediately stopping diving if it were to occur on a dive?"

Since I don't generally get them, I'd call a dive for pretty much any headache. If I have one, it means something is wrong.

Terry

Ones associated with Brain Aneurysms are the most common ones and most deadly.... So I would guess that was his thinking, but if so I would think he would order more test to rule it out???

I can't think of any reason why headaches associated with a dangerous pathology (AVMs, aneurysms, uncontrolled hypertension, empty sella syndrome, normal pressure hydrocephalus, etc.) would be worsened by diving. I'd ask your physician what his concern was.

Some people believe that the increased pressure my add stress if they are not dive oriented or trained? Some Docs just don't understand and will err on the conservative side when it involves Diving.

Call DAN that's why we have the network. I'm sure they deal with these questions allot

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom