HD Masks vs. Clear Masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you mean the ones with tinted lenses? Those do reduce the amount of light that will reach your eyes.

Sort of, yeah. More specifically, I'm curious about masks like this that claim to 'sharpen colors' or 'improve clarity,' kind of like those HD glasses you see in infomercials. I've never used them, so I'm wondering if they actually work.

I’ve found that this sort of gimmick is really only helpful in shallow water and close distance objects. The farther light has to travel through water, the more it refracts and loses color that’s why everything turns blue at depth and/or distance. If you want to see better colors my advice is to get a powerful wide angle flashlight,not underwater sunglasses.

I have never tried tinted lenses, but would agree that the solution is probably rather in the light source.

What goes around comes around. :) Yellow filter glass was a diving mask option in the 1954 Lillywhites of London catalogue:
Lillywhites1954.png
By the 1960s, however, colour filter mask lenses had vanished from view.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom