HD GoPro and editing software

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

manni-yunk

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I recently bought a HD GoPro and have a speargun mount as well as mount on my Guardian FFM.

I have 2 full SD cards of video that I want to edit, but I am an editing novice - except for a film course in college in 1993, Ive never done it. I am however computer savvy and I sell software for a living.

What is the best, easiest editing software to use? I read something about having to convert the video file form the GoPro - can someone elaborate on that?

I would like to get a free software, but if there is something out there that is easy - I would go buy it.

My laptop is running WIN 7.

Doesn't GoPro give away some software these days? Check their site.

There is also a free Windows editor called VideoPad that isn't too bad. After the trial times out you lose the ability to output to many formats, but AVI is always unrestricted. It's not a GREAT solution, but it is free.

Check your Computer if you have Win 7, you might already have windows movie maker, it's not the best but pretty easy to use. I just started editing my GoPro Videos and putting them on YouTube. I just wish you could save it back in MP4 format but it only saves in WMA.

Windows Movie Maker is as cheap as you can get but it does have its limitations.

I made a short movie using WMM and it's OK, I don't think I'll win any awards for it.
[video=youtube;j3etpg9_Ta8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3etpg9_Ta8[/video]

FB-Florida Scuba Diver

Last edited:
Check your Computer if you have Win 7, you might already have windows movie maker, it's not the best but pretty easy to use. I just started editing my GoPro Videos and putting them on YouTube. I just wish you could save it back in MP4 format but it only saves in WMA.

take a look at Handbrake for conversion

I use a combination of Pinnicle Studio 14 (came with a product I bought), Virtual Dub (free+Open Source), audacity for audio, WMM for titles if I don't feel like using pinnicle, and handbrake for conversion.

Lots of programs, I know, but for free (and legally) I suggest that list minus pinnicle studio. Virtual dub has some advanced filters for processing, and WMM can do titles and transitions.

I really like my Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum software. I bought it for $100 but now you can find the newest version - version 11 - much cheaper.

SONY+Vegas+Movie+Studio+HD+Platinum+11.0+Portable.jpg

I use adobe premiere pro cs5, its not cheap but very powerfull and if your computer savy you should be able to figure it out fairly qickly. There is also lots of tips available online and cs5 and newer versions work with raw gopro files imported directly into the timeline. Its only limit is your imagination and I learn new things every time I use it.

There are many options out there it all comes to down your budget and what you want it to be able to do. There are a few basic free packages but if you dont want the limitations you will have to be prepared to spend some $$$$

I use adobe premiere pro cs5, its not cheap but very powerfull and if your computer savy you should be able to figure it out fairly qickly. There is also lots of tips available online and cs5 and newer versions work with raw gopro files imported directly into the timeline. Its only limit is your imagination and I learn new things every time I use it.

There are many options out there it all comes to down your budget and what you want it to be able to do. There are a few basic free packages but if you dont want the limitations you will have to be prepared to spend some $$$$

I am having dramas Marty.
Whats a good free software to use with xp sp3, wmp11?????
I have got some great footage to cut up from the gold coast seaway with unbelievable 20+m viz, stacks of fish and the poo pipe starting up!
:)

Back
Top Bottom