HD Camera quality, old 'Pro' Vs new 'consumer'

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

baitballer

Contributor
Reaction score
Can someone who has seen the difference tell me if the older 'Pro' cameras such as the Sony FX1 produce better quality pictures than the newer consumer models such as the Sony HC9 or Sony XR550? I am not taking about technically, I am taking purely what you see if you plug them directly for example onto a screen and played them side by side.

I am going to upgrade to HD from mini DV and I am looking at all the options and was just wondering if getting an older 'pro' grade set up would produce better results than a newer 'consumer' grade one would.

Thanks, Tony

Yes, the FX1 will produce better underwater video than an HC9 or XR550. Reasons being, 3 chips, better low light capabilities and manual white balance range.

However, that does not necessarily mean you should go out and buy one. The FX1 has been discontinued for many years and is tape based. Most of the housings for it are no longer made. All this means buying a used system that you hope is in good shape and hope it can be easily serviced.

Can someone who has seen the difference tell me if the older 'Pro' cameras such as the Sony FX1 produce better quality pictures than the newer consumer models such as the Sony HC9 or Sony XR550? I am not taking about technically, I am taking purely what you see if you plug them directly for example onto a screen and played them side by side.

I am going to upgrade to HD from mini DV and I am looking at all the options and was just wondering if getting an older 'pro' grade set up would produce better results than a newer 'consumer' grade one would.

Thanks, Tony

To keep things less costly, you might want to consider the Canon HFS-10
Steve

I haven't used the HC-9 but if it is anything like the HC-7, I was terribly disappointed with mine. I've listed those problems elsewhere on SB in the past.

I did buy the flash memory based CX550V but haven't received my UW housing for it yet. I've been pretty impressed with the topside video so far.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom