"Hawaiian Sling" WRT shoulder straps???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

O2BBubbleFree

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all,

Here's an odd question for you. One that has been haunting me for several years... Not that I've lost much sleep over this one.

Twice in the last, oh, 15 years or so, I have run across references to SCUBA gear rigged with a 'Hawaiian Sling' instead of the normal shoulder strap / waist belt that we are so accustomed to. Both times the reference stated this configuration is easier to use than shoulder straps.

Of course my online searches only return info on the 'Hawaiian Sling' spear.

Any one of the SB multitudes have any idea what this other 'Hawaiian Sling' is? Any personal experience?

Just curious.

We have DIR config forums, and the new Hog config. forum., maybe it's time for another... ;^)

I'll start this by telling you that I learned to dive in Hawaii in 1978 or so. Back then, we used a "Hawaiian Rig" that may be what you are talking about. It was actually a locally produced backpack of aluminum with padded, bent aluminum shoulder "hooks" in place of the straps you would normally have, with a normal waist belt with a couple D rings on it. The tank hung on a flat aluminum plate, the shoulder "hooks" were bolted to it, and a waist belt was slotted through. We were making them up in garages and patios all over the island of Oahu at the time and were pretty popular.

I could probably come up with a sketch, but will NEVER find a photo among all my junk from way back then. Hope this is a help!

3dent:
Hi all,

Here's an odd question for you. One that has been haunting me for several years... Not that I've lost much sleep over this one.

Twice in the last, oh, 15 years or so, I have run across references to SCUBA gear rigged with a 'Hawaiian Sling' instead of the normal shoulder strap / waist belt that we are so accustomed to. Both times the reference stated this configuration is easier to use than shoulder straps.

Of course my online searches only return info on the 'Hawaiian Sling' spear.

Any one of the SB multitudes have any idea what this other 'Hawaiian Sling' is? Any personal experience?

Just curious.

We have DIR config forums, and the new Hog config. forum., maybe it's time for another... ;^)

frankenmuth_tom:
I'll start this by telling you that I learned to dive in Hawaii in 1978 or so. Back then, we used a "Hawaiian Rig" that may be what you are talking about.
//snip//
I could probably come up with a sketch, but will NEVER find a photo among all my junk from way back then. Hope this is a help!

I'll bet that's it. No sketch necessary, your description was excellent!

Thanks.

3dent:
I'll bet that's it. No sketch necessary, your description was excellent!

Thanks.
Go to spearboard.com and look under the "other gear" forum. There were pictures of a hawaiian rig there a month or two ago.

I used to have the Hawaian rig. It came from Aquacraft I think. It was not unlike some of the hiking backpacks of the time. It was aluminum with two curved sections that went over the shoulders. It had a waist strap. It was used during a time that BCs did not really seem all that important or did not even exist. The one I had did not fit me so good since I was still a teen. They were easy to get in and out of for sure. A modernized version might be pretty neat but in my opinion the modern version is probably the backplate device of today. N

Sorry Nemrod,

It was a lack of my knowledge.

Aloha ...Hopefully this is a picture of a Marvel Hawaiian Pack. It has 2 bands for tank retention, and a waist strap. I am not sure of the actual model name, but it is by marvel. I have not had a chance to dive this item from my vintage collection, but will post a picture when I do
Turtleguy

Turtleguy:
Aloha ...Hopefully this is a picture of a Marvel Hawaiian Pack. It has 2 bands for tank retention, and a waist strap. I am not sure of the actual model name, but it is by marvel. I have not had a chance to dive this item from my vintage collection, but will post a picture when I do
Turtleguy

I looked at your Marvel Hawaiian pack and was wondering about the ring toward the bottom. Is is a type of weight release similar to the idea on the Water Gil AtPac? Not sure on the scale of the picture but it looks like you could stow cylindical weights in the sides of the pack.

Turtleguy:
Turtleguy

SB is always such a great source of info! Thanks for the pic!

Back
Top Bottom