Hawai'i Pelagic Magic/Black water night dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

phuertas

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
We are heading to Hawaii in December and we be do 2-3 days of diving and definitely the manta ray night dive. We've done the manta ray dive before and it is fantastic so I'm looking forward to doing it again. I'm curious about the black water dive, is it worth it? Would you do it again? There is so much to do on Hawaii that this will not be strictly a dive trip.

I felt it was worth it. My only recommendation is dial in your buoyancy control. Diving with little in the way of visual references was a surprising challenge for me and I've been doing it a while.

I will second that it is 100% worth it and a very unique dive experience

If you could do it everywhere or have done it a few times then i would say no, but its a unique experience, go for it, its awesome! I was on a backpacking budget and still felt it was worth the money!

Yes. And it’s not that long. Manta and pelagic are must do dives for BI.

I absolutely loved it! It is a macro dive, though...just so you know. Jack's Diving Locker does a nice job with their dive. You're tethered to the boat and just hang in the water column and watch the critters come up from the deep to feed.

It's a great dive and always different. You'll never know what you'll see, from the very tiny, alien creatures to megafauna like sharks or rays. A good friend of mine has, quite literally, written the book on Hawai'i black water diving and it just came out. Buy a copy and, if you book through Kona Honu Divers, he'll likely be your guide and will gladly sign it for you. https://www.amazon.com/dp/194930714X/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_x_gxTQFb39DQ5J0

Thanks everyone for the feedback! I'm going to do it. I'm afraid if I didn't that I would regret it.

Back
Top Bottom