Hawaii location recommendations Big Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kieth at Divetec took very good care of us as well, first rate guy.
BTW, schedule 2 manta dives, odds of getting skunked are low but you don't want to miss this dive.

CostCo is along the way to Kona from Waikloloa in Kaloko (Industrial vs Old Industrial) past the airport on the Queen K Hwy, L at Hina Lani Street, next R and Scuba Shack is on your R near the end (just before the turn to my warehouse :) .)
The Waikoloa Kings shops are a good place to spend money, uh Scuba Shack would look very odd there. Perhaps I’ve been navigating by habit too long or not gone shopping enough – don’t recall a Queen’s shopping.
All the shops and ops are good although some atmosphere variety. I think all ops do the Manta, just some more often than others and it is a great night dive with or without Mantas.

Queens shopping is the new shopping area they are putting or were putting across the street from Kings shopping. With all the condos the hotels are putting in at Waikaloa they decided to put in another shopping center more geared for groceries and etc. I didnt think it would be done yet but when you mentioned Costco I got excited because I think they are putting on in there. I stay in the Hilton owned condos pretty frequently and avoid the Kings shopping area like the plague or our trip would get very expensive very fast.

I do not think the Queen shops are open. I was talking about the one south of the airport that redrover is providing direction to. I dove with Kona Honu Divers on the Manta Dive last year. Nice big boat and good people. 808 324-4668. Great shore dives in Puako Bay.

I just went to the Queen's shops a couple weeks back, they technically "opened" earlier this month but it's basically Starbucks and two or three other businesses open so far. There's building activity and more shops will open but it may be a half year or more by my guess before it looks like it's filling up to any real extent.

Thanks gang, yeah that costco is where I still gotta go when I get there. Was hoping for closer to waikaloa was all. Ill be there the end of February again. So maybe by then.

Don't miss the Manta Dive. I've only done a weekend trip over there, but I went with DiveTek and they were real good. I've heard the same referrals mentioned above from people when I lived on Oahu: Jack's, Kona Honu, Big Island Divers. Concur that costs are a little higher than other islands, but just the way it is. Have fun and give a 'shaka' to the fish for me.

Thank to all thus far. I appreciate the input.

My wife will be getting her open water mid November and my son (12) only has a few dives under his belt. I'm a DM but will probably not broadcast that on the boat. Don't want to be put to work. lol I'm really interested in shore diving as well. I noticed some have mentioned that. Apparently there are some white sand beaches just 10 min from Wiakoloa. Anyone familiar with "The Bay Club" at Wiakoloa and its surrounding area? It is part of Hilton Grand Vacations Resorts but not the hotel on the bay. I think its about 2 miles from the water. I'm hoping I'm not getting mislead in expecting the area to be wonderful and not far (10 min) from beaches and find some place average and out of the way from the beauty and culture of the island. We are looking for the full island experience. Probably can't afford to make a return trip.

Thanks for the info on HWY19 and rush hour. That's great info for planning and expectations.

I am a HGVC owner and stay at the bayclub alot. Its a great place and has a nice pool to relax by, you are way less then 2 miles away from the beach but would highly recommend renting a car while there. The easy access beach is just past the Marriott and is the same place you would meet the boat if you dove with red sail, which isnt recommended (boring dives). If you dive that beach about 100yds out and to the right of the mouth of that cove is a turtle cleaning station which is great for some photos and lots of turtles (dont touch them, its illegal). Btw they will chase you around nearly saying touch me touch me because they know you cant. LOL Btw the bay club rooms are far superior in size to the waikaloa HGVC rooms but the waikaloa HGVC rooms are way more modern for obvious reasons. If you have a choice ask for a room that overlooks the golf course.

Back
Top Bottom