Hawai'i in January - which islands?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

howswedeofme

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
We are looking into our next trip and Hawai'i is currently on our short list. My husband lived on Oahu for three years and hasn't been back for over a decade, so we are going to spend 4-5 days there at minimum. If we can do a 10 day trip, should we do a second island? If so, which one is the best for diving that time of year?

We are looking into our next trip and Hawai'i is currently on our short list. My husband lived on Oahu for three years and hasn't been back for over a decade, so we are going to spend 4-5 days there at minimum. If we can do a 10 day trip, should we do a second island? If so, which one is the best for diving that time of year?
Is diving the reason for the trip, or is diving secondary?

I like Maui for diving, I like Hawaii for everything else, although the diving is good there. The diving in Oahu is pretty meh in my opinion, although I do dive there also.

Is diving the reason for the trip, or is diving secondary?

I like Maui for diving, I like Hawaii for everything else, although the diving is good there. The diving in Oahu is pretty meh in my opinion, although I do dive there also.
Concur.

Not Kauai since the north shore pretty much shuts down in winter so no Tunnels shore dive or trips to Ni'ihau (unless they get a good weather window)

Either the Big Island or Maui would work Both have dives on the weather protected west side. BI is certainly more scenic but it's also a lot of driving. More shore diving on Maui with a lot of easy beach entries. Plus you can boat dive Molokini Crater, Lana'i (one requires a 45min. drive between South or West Maui (for the boats) and Lahaina Divers might be going to Molokai to dive with the Hammerheads but I believe that's later in the year. The must dive on Kona is the Manta Night dive if you decide to go there.

Pre-book the car for Kona - walk-up rates are a shock. We do on Maui also.

On Kona the boats are all in Honokohau(sp) Harbor north of Kona so find a condo/resort south of Kona/Kailua - shops have an office in town so you check in once then meet at the boat. Exceot for the two dive operatprs up in Waikoloa - about 45mins north of the airport..

On Maui all rhe south Maui boats leave from the Kihei boat ramp so anything in Kihei/Wailea is a few minutes drive. The West Maui boats leave from Lahaina Harbor so anything there or in Kaanapali or Kahana is fairly close. Some of the resorts/condos in south Maui are also on shore dive sites/beaches. Sheraton Black Rock is the only one I know of in Kaanapali. Farther north there are some smaller, older condos beachfront in Napili Bay which is also a shore dive. Or the next beach north which is Kapalua - also a pricey resort area.

If diving is the main focus of the trip then you might consider spending a week on the Kona Aggressor liveaboard. Food, lodgings, and a lot of dives are all included. You will get to dive some of the nicest and more remote sites around the island and the night dive with mantas is included.

The Aggressor offers specials periodically but January is the high season so I don't know if you will be able to get a discount, but it might be worth looking into if you are interested in a liveaboard.

We've done the Kona Aggressor, and day boats from Big Island and Maui. For diving I liked Maui best,and it seemed all our dives there were very memorable for various reasons. It also has some great scenery. Big Island is course interesting for all the volcanic sights and has some nice diving too. Of course there's the manta night dive on the Big Island, but we also lucked out and spent most of a day dive with mantas at Molokini crater.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom