Hawaii Hiring?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Devonled

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello!

I am a PADI instructor currently working towards my MSDT. I am hoping to move to Hawaii for the summer to work at a shop as an Instructor / Divemaster, and wondering where to start. I have gathered a list of all the shops and contact information, but not sure when to start reaching out. Does anyone have any tips about applying or know any shops that will be hiring for the May-August season?
Thanks, everyone!
Devon

What island ae you moving too? Big Island probably has more shops than the other islands, Maui has several as well. Dive instructor jobs may be hard to come by right now with tourism being down, I was on the Big Island in February and it was pretty quiet. I would start contacting them now if you are serious about moving there and not wait tell you get there. I think the days of just showing up and figuring it out are over as the pandemic has hit the tourism industry hard.

What island ae you moving too? Big Island probably has more shops than the other islands, Maui has several as well. Dive instructor jobs may be hard to come by right now with tourism being down, I was on the Big Island in February and it was pretty quiet. I would start contacting them now if you are serious about moving there and not wait tell you get there. I think the days of just showing up and figuring it out are over as the pandemic has hit the tourism industry hard.
Thanks for the tips, I am open to moving to any of the islands, wherever I can find work for the summer season. I am a student, so looking to work May-August. Just want to make sure I hit the sweet spot of not reaching out too early, and not waiting until it is too late. Also need to figure out logistics, do they provide housing? Will I need a car? etc

Get your captain's ticket. If you can do more than just teach, you have a better chance of getting hired.

For the past few weeks, I've been looking at an ad on PADI's job board from a shop on the Big Island looking for someone to drive their boats--nice boats, too. If Hawaii were closer to the grandkids, my wife might consent to my applying.

Get your captain's ticket. If you can do more than just teach, you have a better chance of getting hired.

For the past few weeks, I've been looking at an ad on PADI's job board from a shop on the Big Island looking for someone to drive their boats--nice boats, too. If Hawaii were closer to the grandkids, my wife might consent to my applying.
Thanks for the advice! Any tips for how to get that started on that Captain's Ticket? Had not thought about doing that before.
Just take the grandkids to Hawaii for the summer! I'm sure they'd love it!

Thanks for the advice! Any tips for how to get that started on that Captain's Ticket? Had not thought about doing that before.
Just take the grandkids to Hawaii for the summer! I'm sure they'd love it!

There is a forum here on ScubaBoard on becoming a captain. There’s a lot of good information there.

You can message me if you have specific questions.

P.S. If I was rich enough to take the grandkids to Hawaii for the summer, I wouldn’t need to be reading the job postings.

I believe the shop Scraps is referring to is Aquatic Life Divers and they seem to have several openings at all levels. I honestly don't know anything about them as I have never dove with them. I have dove with most of the shops on the island as we go over 2-3 times a year to dive but not this shop yet. You may give them a call.

Kauai is literally always looking for good instructors and you'd have options at a number of shops / operations. The diving is a little tougher in Kauai waters compared to the other islands, but the diving in my humble opinion is fantastic. Lots of opportunities to teach OW classes and do DSD's for sure. With a little training and experience - working boats isn't generally far off. If I can provide any additional information feel free to send me a PM with any specific questions. Hawaii in general has AWESOME diving and endless numbers of great operations and professional DM's / guides / instructors etc... Each island has special and unique opportunities for sure.

Cheers
A

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom