Hawaii freediver dies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gilligan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Haleiwa, Oahu, Hawaii

A freediver was found dead on the bottom at 80 feet on Saturday, July 24, 2004 during a fishing contest involving approx. 80 divers. His kayak was found floating on the surface.

He was considered to be a professional diver who had been freediving for twenty years.

No further information is available at this time.

My condolences to his friends and family.

Cause of death per Coroners report - drowning.
Most likely from shallow water blackout.

Never hyperventalate! The lesson here is never get complacent. It's a sad thing.

Wow - that's very sad. I was in Hawaii last week and did one dive at the Haleiwa Trench - it's 80 ft deep - we left Thursday. My condolences to his family.

My condolences to family and friends as well. I know someone who fits the desciption as an experienced freediver and event organizer in Hawaii and this just made my heart skip.

Locally here some good friends were just the first responders to a dive accident so this has been on my mind lately.

Be safe out there......

Dennis

i didn't know him but he worked at the shipyard with me. there's a lot of guys really torn up over here at the yard. a very tragic accident. my condolences go out to his family.

My thoughts and prayers to his family and friends.
-Grier

Back
Top Bottom