Hawaii Big Island Update May '21

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trucha

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I just got back from the big island yesterday and boy was it nice to travel and get back in the water again. My last trip was to the Philippines in dec of 2019.

All in all, it was a great trip. The pre trip covid test was a pita and we weren't sure we'd actually get allowed in. In the end the covid test wasnt necessary as to get off the plane they looked only at my vaccination card. We landed on the first day that vax cards were being accepted in lieu of a covid test. My wife was fully vaccinated but I had one more week post 2nd shot to be considered fully covered. The checker looked at my card and either couldn't do the math or didnt care but they let us both through without getting the second test. I dont know if they charged for the second test but if they did youd be out a minimum of $180 as our first test was 90 and if I didnt chance it and go to the cheap place it was 260 for the covid test. This would've been more than the plane tix. If you live in a rural area do your homework as to where you can get the test.

Check rental car prices as they are crazy right now. We lucked out with 550 for the week but I kept checking and they were mostly 750-1000 plus for the week and sometimes came back as completely unavailable. All in all it didnt seem crowded. The diving was excellent and exceeded my expectations although it was no Philippines. My favorite was the puako reef and another shore dive off a resort area. Kona was cloudy and had swell but kohalo was tame in the am.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom