Having problems with sizes?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SULLIVAN2049

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello all, I have a question on buying wetsuits. I have purchased some Lycra long sleeve shirts and have had to go all the way to 2X and having several returns. I would like to buy a wetsuit from the board but I am afraid of what size to look for. I am 6' 220 with an average build and "gut". Is there a good sizing post or sizing chart I could rely on or does anyone have a good idea as to what size I might wear? Seems like everything in SCUBA runs small except for the fins...lol took a small and started out with a large.:confused:

Check out this web page which has links to the size charts for most major wetsuit manufacturers. Wetsuit Size Charts - Find your wet suit size at Dive Pro Discount Dive Gear, the webs best source for discount scuba diving and snorkeling gear and equipment.

If you go through these charts with your measurements you will get a pretty good idea of what size will work for you. If you buy at an LDS you can try them on. If you buy online from a major online retailer you can usually buy and swap it if the size is not right. Remember, the suit needs to fit rather tightly. You don't want a loose fit.

There is really no standard between makers of wetsuits. I wear 56 (XL) in an open cell 5mm suit, 2XL in a closed cell 3mm suit, 4XL in open cell 7mm suit, 3XL in a closed cell 9mm one piece. We have similar builds. In general, the wetsuits gut area is loose on me and the arms are tight. Just have to go and try them on. Sometimes specific manufactures such as Xcel are very specific on the dimensions on their wetsuits. Call and talk to someone that knows about the specific wetsuit you want to buy such as the manufacturer or retailer. Do not rely on reading a size chart since it is general. Not every manufacturer will have a suit that fits you.

Every manufacturer has a different size chart.

Wetsuits are one of the things you definitely need to research your size to make sure before buying used, and if you are worried it won't fit, I'd say, just pay the extra money to buy it new at a dive shop, where you can easily try it on and/or return it if it doesn't fit.

According to the size charts, a 2XL would probably be what I need according to the weight and all sizes except for my height. I was wanting to purchase a used suit perhaps to save a couple of dollars but purhaps it might be worth the money to get one where I am being certified and pay the extra money for a good fit? I was wanting to save money so I could get other equipment (used as well) but maybe this is something better purchased new. I also saw some post for used suits that say "never peed in" Is this really an issue to consider when buying a used suit? I never even thought of that.

Looks like the last poster agreed on the idea of purchasing a new suit. I really want to thank you all for your support and feedback. Is there a price range I could expect to look at. I really can't afford a 450.00 dollar wet suit but would hope there is a line in the 250.00 range?

You don't need a $400 suit. A lot of Pinnacle's 5mm offerings shouldn't be that expensive. Get a hood as well, that will really help you stay warm.

If you buy a used suit, just soak it in something to clean it. Water and listerine works well :D Or just rinse it off. It's not really an issue.

Of all the equipment purchases, wetsuits seem to be in the category of must try on before purchase. I am between sizes generally, and there are enough differences between the manufacturers that I can't assume the size is the same across the board. Have yet to find a wetsuit that is the perfect off the rack fit for me. Contemplating a custom suit at some point.

If you buy online, do it with an outfit that will allow you to keep returning until you get the right size. Or alternatlively buy the size you think plus one size on either side . . try them and return the two that don't fit.

For me, the size charts were only a very loose guideline. But I'm a shorty and we are tough to size to start with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom