have you taken online photography course?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aboalreem

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am looking for an online digital photography course,,,any recommendations of any online sites?

Leesa, one of the Mods, has a link to a great online course that she uses. I'll look for the link...

Here... http://www.myjanee.com/classes.htm It is more of a Photoshop Course by the looks of it.

aboalreem:
I am looking for an online digital photography course,,,any recommendations of any online sites?

I would suggest you take classes at a local collage. There are MANY benifits to doing so.

1. Hot Coeds.
2. Babes! :D

K, kidding aside, the learning process is increased dramatically when in a classroom, or facetime setting where you are interacting with other photographers and the instructor.

Part of most photography classes is reviewing both your work, and that of others. This type of interaction is just not very easy online. Sure they provide examples, but it's not the same as watching others learn while you are also learning.

Another part of the classroom setting is portfolio deadlines, and peer reviews. It puts the student in a situation where they have to take a theme, and create a portfolio in a given timeframe.

Another huge advantage is that when you are in a class, you are there, focused on the subject at hand, and not surfing the web, receiving calls, thinking of work, etc.

People don't realize how difficult it is to really learn and enjoy something if you are constantly distracted. A class requires that you set aside time for JUST that, and turn off the cell when you arrive (or IMO that should be required within reason).

I'm certainly NOT dismissing online classes or saying they are a poor choice. However IMO given the option of online vs. Classroom, I'd say take the class. Facetime Interaction with others is invaluable.

I too am thinking about an online photography classes. I agree with Ron about the points of actual on site classes but unfortunately, I do 13 week contract work and I sometimes have to move after 13 weeks so on site classes are not feasible for me.

Sure - right here :) and on www.digitaldiver.net

Seriously, posting my images and hooking up with a few photographers who shared my passion for this adventure saw my learning curve drastically reduced. Feedback is the key here - you have to ask for specifics, you have to listen for the subtle between the lines things, you have to think about the feedback and you have to choose which of the feedback you will take on board and which of the feedback you will leave for later or ignore completely. There is no ONE way to do anything.

You have to post your images. Or find someone you can share them with who will give you honest and constructive criticism.

I have a whole range of people, from those who are just starting out to those who are pretty good to those at my level to those at just the next level (it's oh so close!) and to those who are lightyears ahead of where I will ever be (or have any desire to go). The mix is invaluable, but having one or two "go to" people is the best way to start, IMHO.

A course is great, but for specific UW courses, I'd go to a live one. Lots of the "pros" offer them. And depending where you are in your diving and photography, even a "non pro" can have lots to offer. Just make sure to ask lots of questions and see lots of images by whoever is teaching it - you'll be able to tell if that person has something valuable to offer you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom