Have you seen this? - Nemo Blu3 Electric Hookah Device

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jagfish

The man behind the fish
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
This new hookah unit caught my eye; the Nemo Blu3 battery-operated device. The unit has a hose meant to be used down to a limit of 10ft or 3 meters and a battery duration of 60 minutes. There are quite a few YouTubers using them out there for lost item recovery, light salvage, and fossil hunting. The unit is not cheap (starts at $999) but has definite use for shallow water applications.
While going down this rabbit hole, I also ran into a muscle-powered hookah device, the Exolung, which I also put in this video.

Resurrecting this from the almost dead thread morgue. This thing catches my eye almost every time I see it, then I end up moving on to a Brownies or similar and walk away in sticker shock.

I'm not a hookah diver yet but the system intrigues me. Some of the things that deter me with this one is the lack of depth. Too, noting the trouble I have with batteries on my electric lawn equipment I'm hesitant about the battery backs. As mentioned in the videos I have also seen some of the youtubers using them and some of the places they dive in creeks and rivers in deep woods the light weight seems very handy compared to SCUBA. I do like the fact it's electric instead of gas, the thought of exhaust getting sucked in has always bothered me about gas powered hookahs.

Also you may want to look around, since you started this thread there appears to be a few other entries in the market. I'm still kind of waiting for something battery powered and affordable that I can get bottom time comparable with tanks in 30ft or less.

Check out the BLU3 Nomad

Something I'm seriously considering. Looked at Brownie's but very spendy, heavy., and large. This one is light (15#), size of a carryon. Can dive to 40 feet. Battery run time is about an hour, you can get spares, and it's an easy pop out - pop in. Unit with three batteries is about $2,700.. Headquartered in Florida. Best of all you could travel with it.

With 3 batteries I could dive to my heart's content on Bonaire. Recharge time is 3 hours so three dives in the morning and three more through evening as the batteries charge. On Bonaire you wouldn't leave the spare batteries in the truck but my favorite dive sites are close enough to stop and pick up a spare and start the charge on the one just dove. You could bring it along on boat dives with a spare battery.

Another option is AirBuddy from Australia. It's about the same cost but shipping is a killer. Also, the extra batteries are twice as heavy, and pricey. Don't know about service in the US. Recharge 5 hours, depth 40 feet, dive time 55 minutes. It looks very plane friendly but it's 26#. Home - AirBuddy

One more - AQUAROBO-919 has a maximum diving depth of 74ft and a use time of up to 5 hours. With one battery $1400. Don't know about spares or charge time. Headquarted in Texas. Cons - it's huge and 30#, definately not plane friendly.

When young I did use hookah systems for some sorts of underwater work, such as cleaning boats or oil platforms.
I always used large twin tanks as the air source. Leaving them on surface gives you some more freedom underwater, while allowing for long times (2h or more).
As a cylider full of air is lighter, cheaper and more easily recharged than a battery pack providing for the same amount of air; I do not see the point of using a battery-powered compressor instead of a standard air tank.
The tank has the additional advantage that you can use it also for scuba diving.
And instead of limiting your hookah dives to 10m max, as usual, you could fill the tank with EAN36, allowing to dive your hookah safely down to 15 m....

Different tools for different applications. In remote locations recharging batteries will be easier than recharging tanks. I can recharge batteries in my hotel room. I had to purchase a special adapter so the local FD could fill my tanks when back in my home town visiting & diving. Nearest dive store was 50 miles away. Don't see hooka as a replacement for SCUBA but it has its place. Besides, any reason for more dive equipment is a good one...

Check out the BLU3 Nomad

Something I'm seriously considering. Looked at Brownie's but very spendy, heavy., and large. This one is light (15#), size of a carryon. Can dive to 40 feet. Battery run time is about an hour, you can get spares, and it's an easy pop out - pop in. Unit with three batteries is about $2,700.. Headquartered in Florida. Best of all you could travel with it.

With 3 batteries I could dive to my heart's content on Bonaire. Recharge time is 3 hours so three dives in the morning and three more through evening as the batteries charge. On Bonaire you wouldn't leave the spare batteries in the truck but my favorite dive sites are close enough to stop and pick up a spare and start the charge on the one just dove. You could bring it along on boat dives with a spare battery.

Another option is AirBuddy from Australia. It's about the same cost but shipping is a killer. Also, the extra batteries are twice as heavy, and pricey. Don't know about service in the US. Recharge 5 hours, depth 40 feet, dive time 55 minutes. It looks very plane friendly but it's 26#. Home - AirBuddy

One more - AQUAROBO-919 has a maximum diving depth of 74ft and a use time of up to 5 hours. With one battery $1400. Don't know about spares or charge time. Headquarted in Texas. Cons - it's huge and 30#, definately not plane friendly.
DRIS did a virtual dive show and the Brownies group (BLU3 is under their umbrella) was one of the presenters.

Interesting product. If they had leveraged a standard battery pack like the DeWalt FlexVolts I'd be far more inclined. Poprietary battery packs for niche products are bad news from a cost and long-term use perspective IMO.

DRIS did a virtual dive show and the Brownies group (BLU3 is under their umbrella) was one of the presenters.

Interesting product. If they had leveraged a standard battery pack like the DeWalt FlexVolts I'd be far more inclined. Poprietary battery packs for niche products are bad news from a cost and long-term use perspective IMO.
Agreed, and don't get me started on proprietary battery packs...

Resurrecting this from the almost dead thread morgue. This thing catches my eye almost every time I see it, then I end up moving on to a Brownies or similar and walk away in sticker shock.

I'm not a hookah diver yet but the system intrigues me. Some of the things that deter me with this one is the lack of depth. Too, noting the trouble I have with batteries on my electric lawn equipment I'm hesitant about the battery backs. As mentioned in the videos I have also seen some of the youtubers using them and some of the places they dive in creeks and rivers in deep woods the light weight seems very handy compared to SCUBA. I do like the fact it's electric instead of gas, the thought of exhaust getting sucked in has always bothered me about gas powered hookahs.

Also you may want to look around, since you started this thread there appears to be a few other entries in the market. I'm still kind of waiting for something battery powered and affordable that I can get bottom time comparable with tanks in 30ft or less.
Blu3 nemo, rated for 10' depth. but there is no mention of the Volume or Pressure the pump produces. Does anyone know???

This new hookah unit caught my eye; the Nemo Blu3 battery-operated device. The unit has a hose meant to be used down to a limit of 10ft or 3 meters and a battery duration of 60 minutes. There are quite a few YouTubers using them out there for lost item recovery, light salvage, and fossil hunting. The unit is not cheap (starts at $999) but has definite use for shallow water applications.
While going down this rabbit hole, I also ran into a muscle-powered hookah device, the Exolung, which I also put in this video.
Blu3 nemo, rated for 10' depth. but there is no mention of the Volume or pressure the pump produces. Does anyone know???

Blu3 nemo, rated for 10' depth. but there is no mention of the Volume or pressure the pump produces. Does anyone know???
Normal IP (intermediate pressure) about 9 bar.

Hopefully there’s a storage tank.

Expensive pool toy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom