have ports do i need extras

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buleetu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
hi all

i got my ikelite d70 housing, it came with a flat port and a dome port, bought from ebay, really happy with the whole lot

the thing is i have an 18-70mm zoom lens and im buying a 60mm soon

the 18-70mm lens isint the best for underwater but it fits into the dome port and takes pictures but i obviously cant zoom it because the lens is right on top of the dome, im just gonna try this lens out at the surface while i snorkle and that will i need to get a diopter ive read that the dome can distort the image or something with some lenses is this true

and with the 60mm in the flat port (this is the lens the people who owned the housing previously used with the flat port) do i need to get focus gears for the housing, i cant see a way that the lens could be focus manually without the focus gear adaptor or am i completly off

thanks for any help guys

I'm not familiar with the nikon-specific housing, but you should be able to get the focus gears that go over the lens and allow you to focus with the large knob on the top left side. Depending on the zoom lens, you can also use this to zoom, if you are not concerned about manual focus. I do this on my 17-40 zoom with my Canon.

Ikelite only has two zoom and focus slieves and they are for different diameter lenses. see this pdf at their site:

http://www.ikelite.com/downloads/instructions/Quick_Start_pdf/Zoom_Clamp_and_Sleeve.pdf

You dont say what port you have (6" or 8") or what stalks etc so cant really advise until people get that information.

Check the Ikelite Nikon SLR port chart to see what is required for what lens to work.

An 18-70mm lens is listed there but again you don't say exactly what lens so cant help any more than that.

thanks guys

i have the 6" dome and i have the basic flat port for the af/afs60mm both for the ike lite housing

the 18-70 lens fits perfectly into the 6"dome with about 1 cm between the edge of the lens and the dome glass do i need a diopter to stop didtortion or something

and the as for the flat port im getting a af60mm to fit this, will i wanna manual focus with this lens ye?? are is auto focus enough, i would imagine that it would be better to be able to change the focus by ur self!!

thanks guys

the 18-70 lens fits perfectly into the 6"dome with about 1 cm between the edge of the lens and the dome glass do i need a diopter to stop didtortion or something

The diopter is first used to ensure that the lens can focus close enough to focus on the virtual image the dome creates. Ikelite lists if they recommend a diopter with specific lenses on their chart mentioned above. I'll post a link to an article explaining this later. I can't find it right now.

and the as for the flat port im getting a af60mm to fit this, will i wanna manual focus with this lens ye?? are is auto focus enough, i would imagine that it would be better to be able to change the focus by ur self!!

This is really up to you. I found with my 100mm macro both above and below water, that I like to have the option of manual focus. My lens can be slow to focus if it doesn't start close to where it should be. I don't want to miss a good shot as the camera goes back and forth seeking a focus lock, so I like to set it close to where it should be. I would recommend you go out and take a bunch macro photos on land as see how much you use the manual focus. If you use it a lot then consider a port with manual focus available.

For wide angle shots the autofocus is almost always good enough.

i have the 6" dome and i have the basic flat port for the af/afs60mm both for the ike lite housing

First, we still don't know which port you have. It's an original Ikelite port. There are variations that are specific to certain. Your definition of perfect fit is totally incorrect. The end of the lens should be nowhere near the plastic (not glass) of the dome. You need to get the part number from the seller. It will be 5503.xx. A 5503.55 is required for the 18-70. No other port will work throughout the zoom range.

Second, it also requires a +4 diopter. If you have the wrong dome, then you might not be able to focus, even with the diopter.

Third, you should have received a zoom sleeve and sleeve holder. They are supplied with the housing these days or would have come with the port in the old days.

You do not need a focus gear for the 60mm. Autofocus works fine.

quote for scorpionfish

"i know the 18-70mm lens isint the best for underwater but it fits into the dome port and takes pictures but i obviously cant zoom it because the lens is right on top of the dome"

okay its perhaps not a perfect fit but i just assumed that u would understand that the dome isint the port for that specific lens and that i knew it and wasnt bothered because the 18-70mm lens is just the lit lens that came with the d70 when i bought it and because it fits in the dome i intended to perhaps try it out while snorkling just for the hell of it, and i know its not glass its just easier for me to write glass then plastic for some reason,didnt think it would matter to anyone if i said glass instead of plastic or before someone pulls me up on it "acrylic" if thats what its made from

i dont have any stalks or extensions just the dome and flat port

the dome is the 5503 and the flat port is the 5505, thanks for the links, i have just noticed that the nikon 60mm lens doesnt suit the flat port,but the guys i bought the housing from used the flat port with exactly this lens

so how is it that the camera focuses on the virtual image on the dome

is a diopter lens one of those lens kits u can buy from ebay that come from hong kong or wherever to make a camera able to go macro, i have a little kit for my e900 and it comes with a big macro lens then there are 3 other skinny lenses 1 2 and 4

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom