Have a disability? Want to learn to scuba dive? This manual is for you...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveHeart

DiveHeart Instructor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Know someone with a disability who has an inetrest in adaptive scuba and their potential roll as part of an adaptive dive team???
If so, send them our way. The Diveheart adaptive diver training manual was written for the adaptive diver, explaining their roll and responsibility as part of the adaptive dive team, and what that adaptive diver should expect from their adaptive dive team, and the innovative adaptive scuba training tools at their disposal. Learn more here https://www.amazon.com/Divehe.../dp/0988505835/ref=sr_1_4...
#adaptivescuba #diveheart #scubatherapy #scubatraining
May be an image of 10 people, people sitting, body of water and text

Comment

0 Comments​

Write a comment…

https://www.facebook.com/jim.elliot...7EJ5eZoqxEvzr0NwH_iE9XH7y0V4zd0&__tn__=<<,P-R

I took the opportunity to read this manual though I have never enrolled in a DiveHeart adaptive diver course. I am totally blind and am a validated PESH-20 (level 3) scuba diver. Whenever I have read books, training curriculum, or other material geared for those with disabilities, written by those with no handicap, they have often fallen short and lack essential experience and insight. This manual, while well-meaning in all respects, is absent of obvious input from those who live, work and play with the referenced disabilities on a daily basis. I would never pretend to know the nuances of those who can see, such as color coordination and visual presentation nor understand the challenges of those who do not have use of their legs. Whenever I have worked with those with disabilities, I ask them to teach me about what it's like to live in their shoes. In reading this manual, I discovered claims regarding my own disability which has been disproven, not just by me, but by many other experienced and blind and visually-impaired divers. The Diveheard Adaptive Diver manual, asserts that certain integral scuba skills cannot be performed by a blind or visually-impaired diver. I know from my own experience, coupled with those of other blind and visually-impaired divers, that with adequate practice, experience, training and expectations, a blind or visually-impaired diver can master skills that the Diveheart Adaptive Diver Manual advocates they cannot. I am expected to perform these very skills on a weekly basis under direct supervision of qualified scuba instructors and I appreciate they're willingness to patiently teach, encourage and challenge those of us with disabilities. I also honor and respect those blind and visually-impaired people who played a crucial role in establishing our training program and the openness of the instructors to learn from and subsequently improve upon the curriculum based on the input of their handicapped divers.

Thank you so much for your input. The Diveheart training program is dynamic and always changing as all scuba training programs are doing. When I wrote the Diveheart manual it was based on decades of working with blind skiers and blind individuals who wanted to scuba dive. I'd love to have a conversation when you have time. my cell is 630-408-1920. Like they say. Good divers are always learning and we're always open to additional ideas.

Thank you for your response. Perhaps it was not the input your organization wanted, but it is important for any organization or business to receive honest feedback. I am in a unique position in that I have been able to learn about, and discuss two separate adaptive scuba programs with people who are very new to scuba diving.

For me, I began in september of last year and I have two friends who began learning to scuba dive under the Diveheart program around the spring of this year. All three of us are totally blind. Therefore, we compare notes often and I can honestly tell you right now that my friends are jealous of the training I have received and the competence of my instructors.

Their instructor, a Diveheart instructor for years, felt inadequately prepared to teach two totally blind students. It is true that he went through the empathy training required by Diveheart, but despite that, teaching totally blind students was a new and different challenge. He has since risen to the challenge and has learned valuable knowledge and experience. My experience was the complete opposite. From the first day, my scuba instructors made it very obvious, through their interactions with me, that they were confident in the techniques necessary to teach someone with no vision. So what was the difference?

First of all, in order to become an instructor under the system I am being taught under, one must conduct a supervised dive with someone who has a disability. In order to progress, one must continue to conduct dives with those who have a disability. Simulations are not enough. It is one thing to conduct a dive with someone who can see, but has a blindfold or who has blacked out their mask. It is an entirely different experience to dive with a totally blind person.

The second factor is experience. Many of my instructors have worked with totally blind people, as well as with many others with disabilities, for almost ten years and in our program, we dive weekly during the school year. Some have been teaching people with disabilities to scuba dive since 1999. A school year in France lasts for at least 36 weeks and each diving session is about an hour and a half. Therefore, 36 weeks multiplied by 1.5 hours and further multiplied by 20 years equals 1080 hours of experience. This does not take into account any dive trips. Yet, with all of this experience, the instructors still ask us, the divers with disabilities for our input and feedback regarding how to improve the training program. For more information about the Handisub system, I invite you to listen to my podcast entitled "VisionFree Diving.' It can be found on Apple Podcast, Amazon Music, and Spotify, as well as at diving.visionfreeaccess.net.

I realize and fully understand that when the Adaptive Diveheart manual was written, it was based on teaching adaptive skiing and on people with disabilities who wished to learn how to dive. When blind people first approached Handisub in France expressing their desire to learn how to scuba dive, they were the pioneers. Because of this, Handisub instructors leaned heavily on input from the blind people to establish their training program. Even with the tactical hand signals, Handisub instructors worked together with the blind students to create signs that are simple, intuitive and easy to replicate. They conducted hundreds of hours of testing in a pool and in open water and only when the blind divers were satisfied, were the hand signals made official. This entire process took almost three years and the blind divers, though still new to diving, were involved every step of the way.

My friends, who are Diveheart students, are frustrated that I am being taught skills and have access to training they are being denied. This is not due to their ability, it is due to the simple fact that Diveheart's program does not provide the same amount of training. They continually ask me, "Why can't we learn how to do that? If you can do it, why can't we?" It's a valid question and one for which they feel they deserve an answer. Maybe they don't have the aptitude to perform a particular skill, but they will never know if they never try. If they try and physically cannot perform the skill, that's one thing and that's on them. However, if they are denied the opportunity to even try, then that's on the training program itself.

In the Diveheart Adaptive Diver Manual, one of the chapters is entitled, "Imagine the possibilities." My friends are trying to do just that. They are trying to imagine the possibilities, but they are running into barriers and walls imposed by the very program that advocates there are limitless possibilities. I'll close with one of my favorite quotes by Helen Keller, "The greatest barrier facing the blind is the lack of vision of their sighted friends."

In order to progress, one must continue to conduct dives with those who have a disability. Simulations are not enough. It is one thing to conduct a dive with someone who can see, but has a blindfold or who has blacked out their mask. It is an entirely different experience to dive with a totally blind person.

That would severely limit the ability to provide the services. I think an imperfect class where the instructor is learning is better than no class because the instructor isn't certified to handle that particular disability due to not having a person with that disability available to conduct the certification dives.

That would severely limit the ability to provide the services. I think an imperfect class where the instructor is learning is better than no class because the instructor isn't certified to handle that particular disability due to not having a person with that disability available to conduct the certification dives.
I can understand why you'd think that, but I was refering to the system that is followed in France, Belgium and Luxumberg. I attend a club weekly that has almost 10 instructors who are certified to dive with a person with a disability. In Paris and the suburbs where I live, there are over 280 such instructors. Each instructor was required to conduct at least one supervised dive with a person with a disability. It should be noted that we typically have the majority of instructors in attendance every week. The only exception of course is if the club goes on a diving trip. So to me, it's not really a question of quality versus quantity. We have plenty of people who are certified to teach people with disabilities how to scuba dive and we have at least one more that will be joining my club next year. Therefore, I don't see the argument that requiring people to dive with a person with a disability hinders the availability of the service. Quite the opposite from what I've observed. My friends' instructor felt rather inadequately prepared to teach the two blind people he began teaching a couple of months ago. I talked to him at length about what my experience has been and have helped him and my friends by giving them advice. He was unsure as to what skills they would be able to learn and how to teach many of the skills in a meaningful fashion.

Back
Top Bottom