Hate my new Rx mask....suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kixy1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
After research and calling some manufacturers I finally ordered a new Rx mask. And I hate it!

I ended up getting a mask with bifocals as my distance is 'ok'. I needed to make the move to Rx as I was having a bit of difficulty making out my gauges and I HATED my inability to see baby blennies in the coral last year.... getting old sucks :(

The mask fits OK (Tusa Liberator), but the bifocals just aren't working out.... It seems that no matter how I try to tilt my head back I can't get the positioning correct. I opted for larger area bifocals and even had them set a bit higher in anticipation of this issue, but just. not. working.

Needless to say, I'm almost $200 in the hole and sorely disappointed.

I'm thinking of maybe just trying a whole lens script. Just get the whole lens at a +2. I figure this will distort my far field, but would open up the reef and small stuff for me.

Does any have experience with this? Suggestions?

Scott, If I'm not mistaken gauge readers are bifocals...not sure what the difference is?

I've got "readers" in my SeaVision mask, and my wife has her prescription in her's. Mine pre-date a gradual retrograding of my far vision, and I will be converting them shortly to my new prescription. I've never had a problem with seeing my guages in my SeaVision's over the counter reader, and her's have retained a constant clarity. Maybe you need to try someone else?

Maybe laser eye surgery?

My original mask was a bifoccal and it worked Ok. However since much of our visibility is limited the near range was often where the action was and I tended to dive like an anteater browsing the bottom up close. it was really good buoyancy training.

When that mask go lost I did some research before replacing. I learned about prescription and found that all of my corrections are positive. I went to the store and tried reading glasses equal ONLY to my DISTANCE script. Even with that I could read print much finer that any dive instrument. Combined with the aproximately 1 diopter you gain in the water I now cruise above the bottom with a nice uniform view.

If your values are in conflict go try some reading glasses to see if you aproach will work.

Pete

Contacts... then it wont matter if you lose your primary mask and have to use the backup either..
Of course, theres still the lasik option that someone suggested, but not all can have lasik as your corneas need to be thick enough and all kind of crap like that.. I would know, cause I cant :(

Contacts... then it wont matter if you lose your primary mask and have to use the backup either..
Of course, theres still the lasik option that someone suggested, but not all can have lasik as your corneas need to be thick enough and all kind of crap like that.. I would know, cause I cant :(

If you can use contacts, that was my first avenue of approach but I have tight eyelids and every blink sent them spinning like a whirly gig!

Thanks all! I think I'm feeling more confident on a fix.... I asked all these same questions when I called around to the manufacturers, SHOULD have asked here first!

Unfortunately, I can't wear contacts, or have Lasik (dry eye). As I stated, my main issue is presbyopia (age-related farsightedness). It's only been recently that my mid and far vision has somewhat deteriorated and I've moved to glasses. I usually just rely on my Costco case of readers conveniently stashed throughout the house, car and work LOL

Spectrum - You described me PERFECTLY this last trip! Anteater hanging upside down trying desperately to get my head tilted back far enough to see that painted elysian... My neck was a mess after two days. I actually went and bought a large magnifying glass and carried it with me. They called me Mr. Magoo, but it worked great and earned a permanent place in my BC pocket!

Since my Rx is positive, seems full lens correction is the way to go. I'm going to double check my far correction and try somewhere in the middle. My guess is part of the problem is these bifocals were made to my full RX...again, a question I ASKED!

Thanks again for taking the time to answer, I really appreciate the help :)

Debra

Back
Top Bottom