Has UTD changed its Tech courses?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,

Just wanted to know if there has been a change / update in UTD Technical courses breakdown. It used to be:

TECH-1 certifies you to dive to 130 with 100% as the deco gas
TECH-2 certifies you to dive to 160 with 100% as deco gas and and 21/35 and 18/45 as back gasses

Recently it is stated on the UTD website that Tech-1 is not the above but (quote from the UTD website)

The Technical 1 course is the first “full” class in the UTD Technical Diving Program and it is designed to prepare divers for the rigors of Technical diving (decompression) and to familiarize them with the use of different breathing gases (25/25, 21/35 or 18/45), use of a single decompression bottle with the option of two different decompression gas mixtures (either Nitrox 50 or 100% O2) and various approaches to conducting two technical dives in a day.

It appears that what was TECH 1 and TECH 2 is now the same class? Does this mean that this new class is longer in duration and pricier? Can anyone please shed light into this?

Thanks so much guys.

Sinbad

Hi Sinbad,

I'm a UTD student and recently signed up for the new Tech 1 class with Jonatahan Edwardsen from Submerged. From what I understand, the new Tech 1 class is similar to the old Tech 1 & 2 classes combined, and the new "Techreational" class is similar to the old Tech 1 class.

I don't know if the new class is more expensive than the old one since I never took it.

The new class structure for the entire training program is explained in this vblog entry by AG: UTD vBlog: 2016 UTD Educational Structure · UTD Scuba Diving

I hope that helps
Mike

Thanks so much Mike. Just the info I was seeking. Jon is a great instructor. You are in good hands.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom