Has anyone tried the New SCUBAPRO Reg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveScoop

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Was just wondering if anyone had the chance to dive this new regulator Scubapro is calling the A700. From what I've read, it's actually a new second stage that works with their existing first stage assemblies. New SCUBAPRO Reg unveiled

I'm actually pretty loyal to Atomic regs (love my T2) but am always curious about the new stuff out there.

Was just wondering if anyone had the chance to dive this new regulator Scubapro is calling the A700. From what I've read, it's actually a new second stage that works with their existing first stage assemblies. New SCUBAPRO Reg unveiled

I'm actually pretty loyal to Atomic regs (love my T2) but am always curious about the new stuff out there.

Love my Atomic B2 too. The A700 is a nice looking reg. Says it's compact but I wonder how heavy it is?

It looks sweet! No one that I know has tried it yet.

A700.png

Dose anyone know how much it is? the G250V with the MK25 is going for about $600:D

MK17/G250V retail $600.00
MK25/G250V retail $630.00
MK25/S600 retail $682.00

MK25/A700 retail $775.00
MK17/A700 retail $725.00

MK25T/S600T (titanium) retail $1650.00

Currently not available as a separate second stage purchase.

It is not the most expensive reg Scubapro makes, but it isn't as cheap as the G250V or the regular S600. The MK25 and the MK17 is a special Polished Chrome Edition available exclusively with the A700 System.

I just came back from a shoot in Honduras where I had the opportunity to dive the A700 and I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that this reg lives up to all the hype. I was a hardcore user of another major brand of regulators (and a very specific model) for almost a decade and I have absolutely no problem leaving them in my dive locker and starting a new love affair with the A700.

I chose to get the MK17 first stage for several reasons, but the most important was it being environmentally sealed. As a New Englander a fair amount of my diving is cold - really cold. So I was glad for the option. I've also never been a fan of first stages that swivel, but that's just a comfort thing.

I'm not a tech diver, don't squeeze myself through caves or do bridge welding under HAZMAT conditions, so I know a lot of you reading this may not be that impressed by what I'm about to say in relation to your own set of standards, but here's what I can tell you: I dropped it numerous times, took it way past recreational limits, breathed it down to about 100psi on a couple of occasions and let it sit caked in all manner of saltwater unholiness and sub-equatorial sun for days and it never flinched. I actually did rinse it once in 10 days. I never noticed the metallic second stage because it didn't hang in my mouth. I actually forgot about it. The fact that I was happy with the factory-applied mouthpiece was, to me, one of the best arguments for the lightweight claim Scubapro made.

In terms of its breathability, I don't know that it gets better than the A700. There may be some regs that come close to matching it, but I guarantee you they won't surpass it. The broad and fine intake adjustments on the second stage were also a plus in my book.

I'll be putting it to the test on some New England wrecks later on in the summer, but based on how it performed last week I have absolutely no reason to think this reg won't deliver in a way that I'll notice a single difference from location to location.

If you're a chest-thumping techie or you simply have a TV show about diving, it doesn't matter. Regardless of your background or objectives, we all need high-performance gear that we can depend on to support us when it counts. Me, I want gear so good that I can forget about it and concentrate on getting the shot. So I'm very happy to give the A700 a full endorsement.

here's a couple of pictures I thought you might enjoy...

Aarononpinnacle.jpg

writingreview1.jpg

writingreview2.jpg

That is great pricing.

///

Back
Top Bottom