Has anyone made a computer model of a wreck?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rae HalfTheHill

MSDT/Captain
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Looking at taking up the hobby/adventure of developing a computer model of a wreck. For someone with no modeling background, this will likely be a steep learning curve, but just seeing if anyone has done such a thing on here, and what software was used?

Agisoft Metashape has a 30 day trial. Try it on land first, you need a lot of pictures, before you try it underwater with reduced visibility.

A gaming desktop works best one you get to large models like a school bus size.

Is there anyway to do this without using photography? Like in cad if you have the deck plans? I ask because I've got a wreck that is just far too large (150m+) for photogrammetry and the vis is rarely good.

That’s more what I was thinking, not photogrammetry. I have deck plans and imagery

I have not modeled a wreck but I have done a lot of modeling with Blender. It's free and has fantastic capabilities. I suggest watching videos from Blender Guru to get started.

Modeling with Blender vs. photogrammetry is pretty different, there's good and bad with each approach. I have actually combined approaches a few times, using PG to get a very rough model and then building a more accurate model in Blender. The PG model gives you accurate dimensional ratios if you are working off of an actual item rather than a drawing. For smaller volumes, using a iPhone with LIDAR you can get a decent PG model with almost no effort. Blender then allows for a much tighter, easier-to-render model to be created.

PG can be used for really large models, actually look at Flight Sim 2020 where entire metro areas are modeled. You just need to take more photos, and the more photos, the better. As mentioned, modeling in Blender, Max, Maya, etc, is very different! A new ship is also going to hugely different then a wreck, you'll have regular shapes and easier textures/ materials for a new ship vs. the effects needed for much more irregular shapes of a wreck. As noted, I'd second using PG as reference material, then build a detailed model from there.

Back
Top Bottom