Has anyone had Covid and went diving when they were better?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

12th Man

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I spent 6 days on a ventilator in critical condition, 16 days in the ICU and 40 days in the hospital with covid pneumonia. I lost 30 lbs in the 16 days in the ICU. I'm learning to walk again and regaining my strength though it's a slow process. The doc said it will be mid to late spring maybe early summer before I find my normal what ever that may be.

My question is has anyone had covid and once better gone diving? How did your body and lungs responds to the pressures? My goal is go diving in July or Aug depending on how my recovery goes. I have know idea what to expect but my first dives if I'm able to make them will be shallow 30' or 40' or so. I'm not sure how my body and lungs will react but I'm gonna give it a try. Hopefully if I can dive I'll have no ill effects once I'm recovered!

Anyone been diving or know of anyone who had covid and how it effected them while diving.

Thanks

Just saw the thread below on impact of covid on your diving but it seems to be more of an impact on your diving trips!

You may want to chat with @Duke Dive Medicine as I believe they have a study going on now you may like to participate with?

You may want to chat with @Duke Dive Medicine as I believe they have a study going on now you may like to participate with?

Hi all, for the record, Duke is not doing a study on returning to diving after COVID. @12th Man, Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital in Dallas has a hyperbaric unit with physicians who can evaluate divers for fitness to dive. I would strongly recommend that you contact them for an exam prior to considering returning to diving. If you were on a ventilator, you may have residual damage to your lungs that could affect you when diving.

Best regards,
DDM

Anyone been diving or know of anyone who had covid and how it effected them while diving.
Thanks

Very sorry for the severe case of COVID-19 you had.

But this is one disease you don't want to base your future diving on the experience of others. Given that COVID-19 can do some serious things to the cardiovascular system, you definitely need a thorough evaluation before returning to diving. Good luck!

It's DAN that is doing the study. Please reach out to them to get on the study.

Getting into the study as a participant will not change any outcome for you personally, good or bad but will be to the advantage of the greater dive community. Also, you may not feel so alone in your position/condition.

Here's the info:

DAN COVID-19 Study - Initial Survey

It's DAN that is doing the study. Please reach out to them to get on the study.

Getting into the study as a participant will not change any outcome for you personally, good or bad but will be to the advantage of the greater dive community. Also, you may not feel so alone in your position/condition.

Here's the info:

DAN COVID-19 Study - Initial Survey
Thanks, I had a tequila moment...im seeing more and more of them of late:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom