Has anyone ever used a Cree MC-E (K-CS) flashlight?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

carrielsal

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I found a new online online today for under $100. I know that Cree makes good lights in general, but I have never used their diving lights. I was wondering if anyone might have any comments.
Here are the spec's.

Brand: Diving
Model: -
Emitter Brand/Type: Cree
Emitter BIN: MC-E (K-WC)
Color BIN: White
Total Emitters: 1
Battery Configurations: 2 x 18650 / 4 x CR123A / 4 x 16340 rechargeable Ii-on batteries
Voltage Input: 6~16V, 16V max
Switch Type: Twist/Twisty
Switch Location: Mid twist
Modes: 3
Mode Memory: -
Mode Arrangement: Hi > Mid > Low
Circuitry: Digital Regulated 1500mA Current Output
Brightness: 640 lumens maximum brightness (manufactuer rated)
Runtime: 3.5 Hours (manufactuer rated)
Lens: Coated Glass Lens
Reflector: Aluminum Textured/OP Reflector

Carrie

Cree dont make lights. They make LEDs.

Anyway MC-Es are good for flood light but not so good for spot.

MC-Es can be driven at 2800ma and to produce 640 lumen or more but they need 2800ma.
At a guess I would say you may get 400 lumen at 1500ma. So it will approach the brightness of a 10w HID fixed focus light.
Also burn time on 2 Li Ion 18650 2500ma cells will give you close to 3 hours. Any more and you would be lucky.

This thread will show you a MC-E beam compared to that of a HID and XR-E LED. Although its driven at the full 2800ma so expect the one you are looking at to be dimmer.

Got a link to it?

Yeah, I found it last night.

It does not impress me at all. The shape is just horrible. All those ridges and fins. And that bezel! It has not been designed as a diving light. More a normal light that has been modified for diving. I would be interested to see how thick the lens is. At 50mm diameter it would have to be 6mm+ at least to be rated at 100meters I would think.

But for $81us its probably not too bad.

There was a guy on here trying to sell the same light for $150.

Yeah, I found it last night.

It does not impress me at all. The shape is just horrible. All those ridges and fins. And that bezel! It has not been designed as a diving light. More a normal light that has been modified for diving. I would be interested to see how thick the lens is. At 50mm diameter it would have to be 6mm+ at least to be rated at 100meters I would think.

But for $81us its probably not too bad.

There was a guy on here trying to sell the same light for $150.

I agree about the shape. Also if I'm not mistaken, the only way to turn it off is to remove the batteries?

How about this one?
DealExtreme: $79.99 Aoxing 100M Waterproof Diving Cree P4-WC 3-Mode 150-Lumen LED Flashlight with Battery + Charger Kit

Adam

100m with a tail clicky switch? Forget it. At the least the rubber will be pressed in under pressure meaning the switch will not work. Worst it will leak.

The W200 is the best dive light they sell. Problem is it runs on 3 AA's and starts off bright them dims down as the batteries go flat.
The light also flickers although I have heard reports that that has been fixed. I have also heard cases or them leaking but I have changed all the O rings on mine ( as well as other mods) and that problem has been solved.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom