Has anyone ever been diving at Inks State Park in Texas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

YellowfinKunkfish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
On the website it lists scuba diving as an activity. Texas state parks usually don't mention that on their site, unless it's well known for that. I've never heard of anyone diving there though. We have made reservations for Labor Day to check it out. I was curious to know if any other swampers have heard of it, been there, etc...

Rhonda

I live in the area, 15 min. from Inks. I would say that any of the Highland Lakes, lakes Buchanan, Inks, Marble Falls, and LBJ are all not known for great diving. Now, back in August 2007, me and a bud had been out at Inks and we went to Devils Water Hole to spearfish, and the vis was at the very best 8-10', maybe a bit less. We were also just free diving then, and didn't get below 10-15 feet deep. Also, this will be quite a hike with full dive gear. I haven't been down to Devils Water Hole but maybe once since, and it was very murky. Also, I check the water around their fishing piers to look at the water and it's been stained every time. I normaly check it out every few days, though I hadn't been out there in a week or two. I also have never dove Inks Lake on full scuba, so it may clear up once you get below 10-20'. I wished I knew ! Check here on the Swamp Diver's Dive Condition Reports thread for updates - hopefully someone will dive it one day soon and will let us know.

Also, Devils Water Hole is an area of Inks Lake State Parks, accessible through the park, and is at the far north end and in a cove of the lake. There is a long granite gravel trail leading to a large rock and ending at the rock and the water. If you climb over the edge of the water, onto the left side of the rock, and around the other side of the rock, there is a flat area facing the water where we spearfished and free dove. This is where it was clearest, and will be the most free of people swimming. It also makes for easy entry, through exiting here may be difficult, you might have to take off your BC/tank and exit, then pick your gear from the water, and then help your dive buddy out - at least on the rock ledge. If you go straight to an area of shore where actual land meets the water, and not this large rock, exiting will be a normal shore exit.

Thank You, 8-10 feet of vis actually sounds pretty good! I've made the reservations, so I guess we'll drag the scuba gear down with us, and check it out!

Rhonda

Yellofinkunkfish:

I drove out and checked the area around the piers day before yesterday, May 25th, and the water was very stained / murky. The pier supports and such could only be seen for 2-3 foot below the surface. Doubt the diving would be very good - I'll keep an eye on it. If I lost track of this posting / thread, PM me later when it gets closer to your visit to Inks, and I'll give you updated and current conditions. Maybe I'll try to dive it before then too and will then know more about the underwater conditions...

To NAVYCHOP (above):

I doubt you'd ever see 10-12' vis in Inks Lake. Only this one time that I went back in 2007 was the water around Devils Water Hole, at the best, was 8-10' vis, and probably more often less and in the 5' range. It's usually not clear by diving standards...

I look forward to reading your report, if you decide to dive it! It doesn't sound too promising, but still worth a shot!

Rhonda

I always try to dive the lakes that people say are not worth it.

An Ink Lake sounds cool ! :rofl3:

After all... Blue Water has been proven to Fog people's perception.... That is why they go all Jimmy Buffett in the first place. So you can't just believe every thing they say about anything after that.

Remember what you learned during your training........
Use the TSD ~ BS Filter :wink:

Time, I love you man!
I happen to like blue water; just 'cause.

On the other hand, I can really appreciate limited vis' diving. I love the challenge. What can I say? Besides, I think it makes you a better diver. But that's just me.

Question Question Question
Has anybody thought to ask why they call Inks Lake Inks Lake ?? Hhhmmm? Just curious. Maybe it has something to do with ink. Maybe not. I dunno.

I always try to dive the lakes that people say are not worth it.

An Ink Lake sounds cool ! :rofl3:

After all... Blue Water has been proven to Fog people's perception.... That is why they go all Jimmy Buffett in the first place. So you can't just believe every thing they say about anything after that.

Remember what you learned during your training........
Use the TSD ~ BS Filter :wink:

While I am no where near as hardcore as Timeliner here. I will say this, every time I was in blue water while I enjoyed it throughly, somehow it felt like cheating. I guess I really am a swamp diver at heart. That and I never had fajitas to eat after my blue water dives (well none worth eating).

While I am no where near as hardcore as Timeliner here. I will say this, every time I was in blue water while I enjoyed it throughly, somehow it felt like cheating. I guess I really am a swamp diver at heart. That and I never had fajitas to eat after my blue water dives (well none worth eating).

Dave! How the heck are ya?? Haven't seen you in forever! We have GOT to meet up somewhere so I can partake in your awesome surface interval food....uh, I mean dive together.

Seriously though, is it getting warm enough for you to jump in yet??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom