has anyone dived at koh mak & koh kood before?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

web_pucr

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
i'm looking for a banch of dive sites without too many people in thailand. has anyone been there before? the koh mad & koh kood seams good for beach relaxation. but i'm not sure if it's good for diving. really appreciated if you could help me with some info.

I stayed at Koh Kood once. And while the diving in that area is better than at, for example, Pattaya, it's still rather disappointing when compared to the Andaman side, in my opinion, and the Andaman side has the same rainy/dry season, so I won't be going back to dive there. It's a royal pain to get to from Phuket, and we have unspoilt islands over here that are easier for me to reach, if I feel the need (such as Koh Phra Thong near Kuraburi).

Last edited:
I have dived around these islands several times a number of years ago on boats from Koh Chang. At the time I thought the diving was no better than what I had seen around neighbouring Koh Chang, but at the time the islands (as was Koh Chang) were very quiet unspoiled places so it made for a pleasant dive trip.
I went to Koh Mak for a non diving break last year to find the place is now full of resorts and tourists, so maybe not the tropical paradise you think it is.
I feel you may be just as well suited to one of the few resorts in the East side of Koh Chang. Much easier access, with the benefit of access to all the things available on the west side of the island. Salakphet is a personal favourite of mine, very quiet, nice and inexpensive accomodation and a wonderfull seafood restaurant on site. There was a small dive operation there also, but I know little about them, and I think they simply went to the same dive sites as all the shops operating from the west of Koh Chang, so maybe not as quiet as you are looking for.
With regard to the diving and your holiday in general, check climate conditions before making your booking, in the summer the area is prone to very heavy and prolonged rainfall, also rough seas. hence between may and september many dive shops (as other tourist related businesses) simply close down for the rainy season.
Hope you find what you are looking for.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom