Harness Webbing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

imasinker

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just bought some webbing for a continuous harness on my back plate DIR style. I bought 2 inch from Dive Rite. This webbing feels very soft unlike most I have seen before. In comparison to OMS webbing this feels like a cloth easy to bend and manipulate. I am wondering what type is mostly used being softer or harder, is it user preference and if there is any concern as to durability. Has anyone used this type before. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

The typical type for the crotch strap is the soft style you have. Many people like the stiffer/harder resin coated version of the shoulder strap portion. Its not all that more durable; just "rolls" a little less, doesn't dig into your shoulders, and supports itself a little more while getting in and out.

Your right, This stuff is definately not good for a harness. The shoulder rings slide down and its to thin for the buckle to grab and hold. Guess I will head to the LDS tomorrow and grab some more thicker. The OMS is just to hard so I will try the Hollis webbing. No biggie now I know and have some extra crotch webbing...lol

I believe DiveRite has different "stiffnesses" for the harness webbing. The type I'm using is slightly softer than traditional stiff weightbelt webbing, but is stiffer than what you describe, and works really well (D-Rings do not slide and buckles work properly because it is same thickness as regular weightbelt webbing, just has a little less resin). It sounds like you got the really soft stuff used for crotch straps.

Deep Sea Supply sells some great resin reinforced webbing that is great for harness use.

Webbing's a personal taste. I like the thinner, more flexible stuff (weebly wobbly webbing, per Rick Inman) because it makes adjusting WAY easier, especially with arthritic hands. Others prefer the stiffer webbing, like the DSS material. Webbing that's as soft as seat belt material doesn't work well for harnesses.

Ok one more question.... Oms sets the waist buckle for left hand, the DIR page I found Hogarthian Harness Assembly Instructions sets for a right hand, is this the correct way? I take it the buckle is on the left strap, then when done up sits close to the right side next to the canister light? Just don't want to have to rip this all apart again.

The DiveRiteExpress webpage you linked shows the correct way. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom