Harness Modification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tom Az

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have been having a bit of trouble with my back up dive light. I keep it mounted on my left shoulder harness with bike inner tube securing it (1.75" tube). The issue is the inner tube will not stay in place. It wants to move up or down the harness. Would getting the handy dandy soldering iron warmed up and melt a notch in the edges of the harness work in keeping it from moving? Might this modification weaken the harness to much causing a failure point? Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Tom
K7TRM

Tom Az:
I have been having a bit of trouble with my back up dive light. I keep it mounted on my left shoulder harness with bike inner tube securing it (1.75" tube). The issue is the inner tube will not stay in place. It wants to move up or down the harness. Would getting the handy dandy soldering iron warmed up and melt a notch in the edges of the harness work in keeping it from moving? Might this modification weaken the harness to much causing a failure point? Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Tom
K7TRM
Personally, I'd try using a smaller inner tube first. Sounds like it's a bit loose to me.

Hi Tom!

Gettin' ready for Kino, eh?

I'm tryin' to remember what your rig looks like.

Are you saying that the light slides up and down on the left shoulder strap when it has the inner tubes holding it in place or that the inner tube strips are sliding up and down when they're not securing the light?

Do you have your light clipped to your left chest D-ring and then held down by the inner tube strips? If so, I can't see how they would move. Mine move around when they're not holding a light...but I've never thought this to be a problem. Once stretched over the lights they don't go anywhere.

I sure wouldn't notch my webbing. I don't know if it would make it any weaker, but it would add rough spots that could chew into your suit.

Stephen

If you're going to put holes in the webbing, don't notch it. Instead, melt two holes 1/4 of the way from each side, and tie the tubing together, running it through the holes. And try a smaller size.

Does it slide around a lot, or just the backup light slowly works its way up towards your shoulder? Mine work its way up, especially on my right where it collides with my can light on the waist strap (since this whole diving thing does have the 5'3" people in mind). I just reposition in between dives.

good grief.. just get a peice of surgical tubing and a tie wrap. simple. easy to size. easy to put on. easy to replace. easy to remove and insert the light.

I second the surgical tubing solution. I use one piece of surgical tubing to form the loop with enough overlap for the tubing to go under and over the shoulder strap and zip tie to itself on each side. The tension of the tubing on each side of the strap holds it in place and the loop holds the light securely. Its secure but also very easy to restow - with a little practice it is a one hand operation.

I wonder if your harness is tight enough - the friction caused by the wet/drysuit on one side and the harness on the other side should keep it pretty much in place - they sandwich the innertube - i dont think mine has ever moved, even in a stiff current.

If you really want the tube to not move, why not put a stitch or two through it & the webbing. It would be easily torn away, if need be, and it wouldn't hurt the harness.

msandler:
good grief.. just get a peice of surgical tubing and a tie wrap. simple. easy to size. easy to put on. easy to replace. easy to remove and insert the light.

I totally agree with this statement, although I went the bungie route instead surgical tubing on my backup harness. Now, my Halcyon plate has the innertube on the harness and works just fine, but I wouldn't over think this and just use something so your light doesn't dangle. Also, I wouldn't be melting holes or notches in your harness...It's unneeded and you'll weaken it.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom