Hard Sided Luggage...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubalnks

Reaction score
Well, I'm searching around for some hard sided luggage and/or Pelican type boxes for travel but the more I search the more disappointed I am in the extremely high prices they seem to be asking for even the smallest of them.

Anyway, my question is, will the airlines/security have a problem with me using a hard plastic cooler as a piece of checked luggage. You know the kind you take camping and to the park for BBQ's. Heck, it will do the exact same job as a comparable box that would cost me over $250.00 just because it has wheels and a brand name on it. Anyone know if this would be allowed? Of course I'd probably have to duct tape it to keep it from coming open during the luggage handling process which might be a problem with security as they may think its a bomb or something.

When I went to Grand Cayman in 1995 we did this with a cooler and stuffed it with food and they had no problem with us taking it but after 9/11 and with the new security at the airports I'm just curious if anyone knows.

Your thoughts?

My dive buddies and I have been using action packer boxes for years to travel. They are hard plastic and have molded fittings for locks. Works very well and the airlines had no problems with using them. Very durable. I have switched to a molded plastic tool box that has wheels and pull up handle. Great for getting through customs and the airports. And it has the molded fitting for locks. Works better then the coolers and duct tape.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom