Harbor Seal at Back Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gbirch

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Went for a quick dip at Back Beach in Rockport yesterday. The beach was quiet with no other divers there (about 12:30). Nice day, a bit overcast to begin with but the sun cam e out later on for a really lovely Winter dive. Entered on the left side of the bay down the concrete ramp into a high tide. Visibility was good (about 15 ft) and the ocean was flat and calm. Got up close and personal with a rather torpid Sea Raven on the swim out, realizing as I got close that the reason he did not react to my approach was that he was missing his right eye. When I swam around the other side he looked rather surprised to see me :)
Passed a large moon snail that was quite active (for a moon snail!) given the temperature (40 degrees). On the swim back in (over the rocks on the left hand side of the bay) I was joined by a playful and curious Harbor Seal who swam with me for a good 10 minutes circling me and then darting in close for a quick look with his inquisitive face and large, dark eyes. This is a first for me. I have swum with seals before but in all the years diving Back Beach I have never seen them here.
Passed another large red Sea Raven on the way back in and exited the water after a 58 minute dive. Nice dive and the sun broke through as I was getting dressed watching the seal pop his head up from time to time in the bay! Life is good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom