Happy's Big Adventure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tom Smedley

Tommy
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Sometimes you get to feeling down and when you need a lift in the worst way you see something that makes you smile all over. Hardly any activity in the ocean brings more squeals and joy than the sighting of a sea turtle. You want to get close and watch the magnificence and grace as long as possible. Sea turtles are, well, just wonderful creatures.

On June 29 at 9:45 in the morning a turtle dubbed Happy broke through an eggshell and headed for the sea. Turtle experts checked her out and equipped her with a radio transponder. Happy made her way to the ocean just nine days after my own birthday. Almost immediately she got the travel groove and headed north. She has been averaging 45 kilometers each day and is presently 375 kilometers from her origin still going strong. We’re sure she has a destination in mind but only she and Mother Nature know for sure where that will be.

In 2003 two female Hawksbills were tracked. Nautila and Schillie also headed north riding their natural instinct to distant homes. Nautila’s destination turned out to be the Navidad Banks and Schillie picked Mona Island near Puerto Rico.

Travel on little Happy. The world is watching and we hope so much to see you in person one day in a place with palm trees, sand, sun, and lush coral.

HooAh!

Perhaps someday we'll see Happy again... with luck for an encounter like this one :)
Rick

Best of luck Happy!!
Great video Rick! Way cool-thanks for sharing! :wink:

Everytime I see that video I love it more. Thanks Rick

How refreshing to see a positive thing about man's interaction with sea creatures instead of the usual complaints.
Thanks Tom.
hh

Awesome vid Rick. Where did you take it? I gotta get one of those integrated BP's :wink:

I hope we see lucky again too! I wonder where she'll end up.

Awesome video Rick. I love how the loggerhead buzzes you to investigate closer. Great stuff!

Matt

I thought I had said so but didn't. Happy hatched on Klein Bonaire and was tagged by the Turtle Conservancy. She is being sponsored by the Rotterdam Zoo.

jpedwards:
Awesome vid Rick. Where did you take it? I gotta get one of those integrated BP's :wink:
Why thank you...
Taken near Bimini, at "Bull Run" in October 2003 - diving from Blackbeards "Pirate's Lady."
Rick

Great story Tom, put a big 'ol smile on my face!! :thumb:

And Rick?? That vid was wonderful, I just had a bunch of officemates watching it over my shoulder!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom