Happy new member,

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
Hey y'all, I've been reading post for years just never joined till today. Glad I did it! I've been working on and in the water for most of my life. The past ten years I've hung up the spear gun and charged the digital under water camera more often. I have two goals/dreams left for diving.
- I still have not gotten to Truk Lagoon. Man, of all the places I have dreamed about and just haven't gotten their yet. Uggh.
- The other is to dive the continental divide in Iceland.

One of the coolest things that ever happened to me was in Summer of 1985 I got to help carry the silver bars of the Atocha as they were being locked up in the Fisher Museum.

Welcome to :sblogo: SubAquatic :cheers:

Welcome to SCUBAboard!

Go to Truk soon before the wrecks are just a heap of rust.

Yea man, awesome experience I'll never forget it. I started writing Mel letters during the summer of 84, we would correspond every couple of months. He had already found a couple of wrecks back then, I had pics and articles of him and Bob Ballard taped to my bedroom wall. Crazy huh, my buddies had hair bands and models taped up. Well anyway, we corresponded for a year and as the summer of 85 approached he invited me down to see his operation and offered me a a tour of the museum. I accepted for early August, and low and behold they hit the mother load in late July.

i spent the whole day with Mel, at around 1700 the boat arrived with the loot and I stood in a line passing bars of silver into a back door of the museum as A lite summer drizzle fell. Really awesome experience for a 14 year old kid. Solidified my life long love of diving and exploring.

Back
Top Bottom