Happy day for me today...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Greetings Hijax and welcome back to diving!
The Atomic mask does quite the same to me if I crack a smile or have stubble it leaks in the nose pocket.
I just learned to overcome the issues because it is a awesome mask.
You might want to try the other Atomic with a frame, it works better for my wife.

Have you tried the midi and the standard frameless Atomic?
The standard works best for me the midi leaks a little more.

Interesting thread :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:!

Good luck with your diving and stay in the water!

CamG Keep Diving....Keep Training....Keep Learning!

Greetings Hijax and welcome back to diving!
The Atomic mask does quite the same to me if I crack a smile or have stubble it leaks in the nose pocket.
I just learned to overcome the issues because it is a awesome mask.
You might want to try the other Atomic with a frame, it works better for my wife.

Thanks so much for the feedback. The Atomic Subframe standard is the one that was leaking for me. I also tried on the Atomic frameless at the store but couldn't get a good seal. I was really disappointed because the lens is amazingly clear. I settled on an Evo Bimini (store brand for a Florida-based chain) but recently tried on the Aqualung Infinity which seems to have a great fit. I may pick that up.

Right now, the final purchase I need to make are fins. I've had to return two sets to LeisurePro because they didn't fit my size 13 foot. :)

Interesting thread :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:!

Yeah really. My thread about my nice experience has turned into something of a debate but I'm glad that so many nice people such as yourself have showed up to congratulate me back. Thank you.

Good luck with your diving and stay in the water!

I plan on it. Planning on going for a dive later this month.

halemanō;5915373:
Thank's, my University schooling as Engineering Physicist did not include much in the way of spelling correction. I am not in denial about the fact that sometimes I misspell. :cool3:

You're welcome.

halemanō;5915373:
Ummm, you should have stopped while you were ahead. :headscratch:

Knowone is my friend and I liked knowone's post in this thread; try to keep up! :rofl3:

OK. True, I did not read every page of this thread. My mistake. I beg your pardon.

Ah, so you are an engineer. That explains a lot. I thought you were a pompous ass, but you're just an engineer.
Since most of my friends are nuclear engineers from Oak Ridge, I better understand your perspective now.:wink:
Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily available, they will create their own problems. - Scott Adams

Keep it real, guy.

Ah, so you are an engineer.

Ummm, like I said before, you should have stopped while you were ahead. :headscratch:

I am not here on ScubaBoard as some annonemous bipolar terrorist; I am nearly fully disclosed, with links to my identity and plenty of personal information.

Before I post specifics on the internet I usually verify the specifics. If you had attempted to verify any specifics before you posted, you might not post complete ignorance so often.

If you are interested, an old version of my resume is only a few clicks away from any SB member, and I contend that a couple semesters in a University Engineering Physics program hardly makes someone an Engineer. :idk:

Unfortunately, your posts are a complete drag! Who really gives a sh!t if someone calls it the wrong name? If you've tried to correct people once, that's enough. Get over it and move on. It sounds like a nagging wife when you say it over and over and over. Bottom line: rude.

Halemano, I don't dislike you, but I'm really annoyed by you in this thread. :wink: That's all.

P.S. Maybe I can join James when he comes to visit you...but you've got to quit this crap. :D

SoccerJeni, I'm always open to bff's with your qualifications, but I'm really annoyed by you in this thread. :wink: That's not all!

"Who really gives a sh!t if someone calls it the wrong name?"

Bottom line: misery inducing ignorance. That ranks right down there with this bottom scraping statement;

To be honest, at least to me, it's a non-issue. The geographic location of sites like "The Christ" or Molasses Reef it is really irrelevant to me because I know I can call up any dive shop in Key Largo, mention that I want to dive those sites (even using the name "Pennekamp") and they'll accommodate me.

http://assets.opencrs.com/rpts/RL32912_20050505.pdf

CRS Report for Congress:
Maritime Jurisdiction Under International Law. The extent of
federal/state jurisdiction over offshore waters is related to the broader issue of the
dominion of sovereign nations over their coastal waters: as a rule, the same baseline
from which the U.S. determines national jurisdiction under international law is used
to determine federal v. state jurisdiction within U.S. waters.

Under international law, the world’s oceans are divided into numerous
jurisdictional zones. Prior to President Truman’s Proclamation in 1945 on U.S.
rights to seabed resources, only three zones existed
: a coastal nation’s inland (or
internal) waters, the territorial sea (only three nautical miles at the time) and the
high seas. Much has changed since 1945. Today the jurisdictional zones include:

* a coastal nation’s internal waters,
* the territorial sea (now 12 nautical miles, rather than 3),
* contiguous zone,
* exclusive economic zone,
* continental shelf, and
* the high seas.

While a coastal nation’s jurisdiction does extend out to the high seas, the level of
authority a coastal nation may exercise increases closer to its own shoreline.

The cliff notes for that quote are that in 1945, President Truman "claimed" US rights out to the edge of the Continental Shelf.

Now, International Law is more complicated but a Nation's territorial waters extend 12 nautical miles off shore.

CRS Report for Congress:
Submerged Lands Act

In 1953, Congress exercised its constitutional power to “dispose of federal
property” and enacted the Submerged Lands Act. With this act, Congress
generally granted the coastal states title to the waters and submerged lands lying
beyond the low-water mark out to three nautical miles
. This act also gives states the
express power to lease, develop, and manage the natural resources found within their
waters, seabed, and subsoil.

In delineating jurisdiction in the way it did in the SLA, Congress sought to “fix”
the

US Congress:
law of the land which, throughout our history prior to the Supreme Court
decision in [United States v. California, 332 U.S. 19 (1947)], was generally
believed and accepted to be the law of the land; namely, that the respective states
are the sovereign owners of the land beneath navigable waters within their
boundaries and of the natural resources within such lands and waters.

Beyond setting a three-mile general standard for state jurisdiction, the SLA permitted
states bordering the Gulf of Mexico to extend their boundary to three marine leagues
if it could be shown that this outer boundary existed at the time of the state’s
admission to the Union. The Gulf of Mexico coasts of Texas and Florida qualified
under this standard. The SLA also confirmed that those states bordering the Great
Lakes hold title to waters out to the international boundary with Canada.

Continuing with the cliff notes, in 1953 Congress "established" a mostly 3 nautical mile State Boundary.

History Of Pennekamp Park

History of Pennekamp Park:

Later, our own locals of the Keys like Joe Lance, Herbert Shaw, Herb Alley, Sandy Sprunt, Marvin Adams (Adams Cut), Rep. Bernie Papy, Carlton Adams, the Upper Keys and Miami Kiwanis organizations joined in. John Pennekamp, as chairman of the Florida Board of Parks and Historic Memorials approved the 75 square mile section of the reef - 10% of the entire reef - as a permanent preserve.

Complications delayed the full approval, but in 1959, Florida Governor Leroy Collins and the Florida Internal Improvement Trust gave the Coral Reef Preserve control of the ocean bottom to the Florida three mile limit. The next problem was to get President Eisenhower to transfer the federal land (that which is beyond the three-mile limit out to the 300-foot depth) to the state, and this was largely accomplished by Governor Collins and industrialist Ross Leffler. This was finalized by President Eisenhower in March 1960, but there was no land base approved, just about 75 square miles of underwater land.

On December 10, 1960, Governor Collins at Harry Harris Park dedicated and named the coral reef preserve "John D. Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park" although the dedication program was titled: "Dedication of Key Largo Coral Reef Preserve." (The area now had two names: the Federal as a 'Preserve' and the State as 'Park' and the state had managerial responsibility). The first that Mr. Pennekamp learned of its new name was at the dedication ceremony at Harry Harris Park - MM 92.6. On the back page of the dedication program was only the map of the offshore preserve - much work lay ahead for a bonifide working state park.

Since, the seaward extension of the 6-miles has been changed back to the normal 3-mile limit; therefore, the "Christ of the Deep" statue is now in waters under federal control. This occured in 1975 when the Key Largo National Marine Sanctuary was established. It and the Looe Key National Marine Sanctuary were incorporated in the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary on November 16, 1990 by President George H.W. Bush. This protected about 2900 nautical square miles of the Florida Keys. Ernest Coe probably smiled with approval.

OK, the cliff notes are perhaps not so clear cut, but from this "history" it seems that outside of 3 miles was never officially called"Pennekamp" - when "John D. Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park" was created, so was the "Key Largo Coral Reef Preserve" created.

NOAA - National Marine Sanctuaries:

January 30 --President Gerald Ford approves the designation of the USS Monitor National Marine Sanctuary off the coast of North Carolina. It becomes the nation's first national marine sanctuary.

December 18 -- President Gerald Ford approves the designation of the Key Largo National Marine Sanctuary off the coast of Florida, making it the second national marine sanctuary.

November 16 – Congress designates the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary off the coast of Florida (P.L. 101-605). Key Largo and Looe Key national marine sanctuaries become part of the larger sanctuary.

OK, I'm sure there are few who are still following along, but Molassas Reef is one of the underwater jewels of the United States! It is arguably the most popular scuba location in the entire United States!

If you are a citizen of the USA, and a marine enthusiast, why not at least know the proper designations of one of the most popular dive destinations in the USA (and the World)? :idk:

halemanō;5919917:
SoccerJeni, I'm always open to bff's with your qualifications, but I'm really annoyed by you in this thread. :wink: That's not all!

Lol! You're making me chuckle. I need to know what qualifications you're looking for in a BFF. I find that very important.

On a different note, I have all of my essential gear now. Mask, fins, snorkel, & wetsuit. Holding off on BC & reg for now since that's a hefty expense.

Hope to go diving next weekend somewhere in Ft. Lauderdale or Miami.

Thanks again to all of those on this thread that have offered encouragement and welcomed me back.

That's excellent hijax! I hope you are able to get a few dives in next weekend and that we get to hear about them.

Sorry for my last hijacking post...I shouldn't have made it since this thread is truly about you getting back into diving and that's great! My apologies!

That's excellent hijax! I hope you are able to get a few dives in next weekend and that we get to hear about them.

Thanks! I'll definitely post about it. :)

Sorry for my last hijacking post...I shouldn't have made it since this thread is truly about you getting back into diving and that's great! My apologies!

No worries. I know what's driving it. :)

halemanō;5919917:
If you are a citizen of the USA, and a marine enthusiast, why not at least know the proper designations of one of the most popular dive destinations in the USA (and the World)? :idk:

You've done a fine job of outlining the geographical and historical significance but I really would like you to stop. Please. This is a thread that I started to post how happy I am to be back into diving and unfortunately, you've managed to drive it into a direction which has detracted from my original intention.

So again, I'm asking you, nicely and politely, to please respect my wishes and stop so I can enjoy my exchanges with those who are genuinely happy for me.

Rey...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom