Hanging a Drysuit, good idea?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

graham p

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi All. I think I just broke my new to me drysuit zipper by hanging it off the floor with the zipper open.
I bought a used Bare XCD2 drysuit for a very good price and went over it meticulously checking the seals, and zipper and inflating it and soap testing the seams and zipper, all good.
I hung it up and walked away.
A week later I go to admire my new to me prized posession, and find the zipper dock torn in two and the reinforcing fabric behind it seperated.
Did hanging it with the zipper open cause this?
Should drysuits only be folded for storage?
I dont mind having to replace the zipper, but I dont want to cause the same damage again.
What is the general consensus on how to store a crushed neoprene drysuit?
Thanks all.

Attachments

• 20220525_181031.jpg
    20220525_181031.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 147
I have a crushed neoprene BARE custom suit and I always hang it to dry, just making sure the zipper is zipped at least halfway. That also includes hanging it inside out first, then reversing it once the inside is dry. Is it still under warranty for zipper replacement / repair from BARE direct?

I hang whichever is not being used or about to be used but I try to make sure the suspenders hold much of the weight.

That will not happen by simply hanging down. You need more force to damage the zip like that. But this can't be repaired.

It looks like you have a 2nd zip for protection. Always use that one to close the suit when you are not in it. Don't close the drysuit zip - each time you open/close the dry zip, it wears. The dry suit zip has a lifespan, it will wear down.
The 2nd zip will protect the most sensitive part of the dry zip - use it when hanging/transporting the suit.

Roll it up to store the drysuit. I hang my suit to dry folded in half over a piece of pvc pipe suspended from a hanger by para cord looped through the pipe. It is a very heavy suit and hanging by the feet or neck&shoulders might stress it too much.

I have a DUI dry suit and here is what is printed in the manual

DRYSUIT STORAGE
Proper storage will extend the life of your drysuit. Store your drysuit in a cool dry place on a wide hanger and the zipper open.The storage area should be free of ozone generators, such as electric or gas appliances. If you must store the drysuit in areas with ozone generators it is best to fold the drysuit loosely with the zipper open and place it inside a sealed plastic bag.

I have kept my current one on a hanger for about 15 years now between uses and I don’t have any issues.

@Miyaru when you say this cant be repaired, do you mean fixing this zipper. I assume the zipper can be replaced.
I wouldn't even consider trying to fix this one.

Most of these metal ( brass?) zippers are more robust than you'd think - looking at your pic I'm pretty sure leaving it open while on a hanger didn't do that. I would take a guess that accidentally putting a tank down on the zipper even for a second would be more likely.

OP did something more to his dry suit zipper than leaving it hanging.

@Miyaru when you say this cant be repaired, do you mean fixing this zipper. I assume the zipper can be replaced.
I wouldn't even consider trying to fix this one.
The zip itself can't be repaired, but of course it can be replaced.

Back
Top Bottom