Hands getting cold

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

formernuke

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I'm wearing fourth element liners under my dry gloves. My hands were getting cold and I figured my dry gloves were to tight, so I switched gloves.

Today's dive was better but I noticed squeeze in my hands even though I have equalizers between my wrist and wrist seals.

What am I doing wrong?

tbone called it, I just do an occasional roll or reach behind, warm air rushes in and it’s amazing how quick your hands warm up.

have you thought about Semi-dry gloves?

i had the benefit of giving them a try the other day...i figured they would honestly be on par with regular wet gloves, but my hands were straight up toasty.

Dry-gloves with a heated source, as mentioned above, is a good way to go. My hands always freeze and are the primary reason I call a dive. Wrist seals from the drysuit also restrict blood flow, even if it s little bit, to the hands making them get cold easier. I’ve tried all sorts of liners, including the 4th Element mentioned above, and nothing really worked except heated gloves. With most liners I too notice a little bit of squeeze. It isn’t that hard learning to work with the squeeze.

Reactions: PJ.
The Fourth Element wrist warmers are great for equalizing your gloves and they also help to keep your hands warmer. I don’t know what you’re using to equalize your gloves, but it sounds like it’s not enough.

I have a set of wrist seals for inside dryglove use and one for non gloved use. I think there’s 1-2 rings trimmed off the dryglove pair. The antártica research groups don’t allow wrist seals because of circulation restriction. If your suit allows it, a slightly less constricting wrist seal can be a large improvement (but still fit such that a torn glove wouldn’t flood your arm).

tbone called it, I just do an occasional roll or reach behind, warm air rushes in and it’s amazing how quick your hands warm up.

I do the occasional vertical "hallelujah" to move air into my gloves. I also clench my hands, I have pronounced tendons so it helps. I loathe the cold, it's the only thing that truely ruins a dive for me, everything else is either exciting, cool, relaxing or benign.

Recently moved from latex to silicone seals, man they are tight, I've noticed my hands being colder since using them. Time to get out a razor. Never even thought about circulation, not the sharpest tool in the shed. Thanks for the info, smarter than I was yesterday.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom