Question Handling rocky shore dives in a neoprene drysuit? (Barnacles vs drysuit, barnacles won)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
K

Karpie

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Any advice on dealing with rocky shore dives with a neoprene drysuit?

I had a full weekend of diving where I was able to get pretty comfortable with my new neoprene drysuit. However, I tripped on the shore exit of my very last dive and landed on some barnacle-ridden rocks.

I was fine (somehow!) but the drysuit took the brunt of it and has some deep gashes--- upwards of 1/2" and a couple all the way through. I'm taking the suit into the shop I bought it from to see what kind of repairs they can do.

I'm usually pretty good at catching myself when I stumble, but that skill doesn't quite extend to when I'm strapped into full diving gear yet. Until I get better at it, should I be looking into some additional reinforcements at the knees? Is neoprene potentially too delicate for extra rocky shore entries?

Rock boots. There are several brands but they usually require larger fins.
I've got the apollo bio drysuit with built in boots, although there's not much tread on the bottom. I can look into whether they have more robust boot options!

You're lucky you don't have waves there. Combine rocky entries with waves and you get Palos Verdes. I've torn drysuits here a couple of times.

Oh man, I definitely feel lucky for that. There's very little surf st the dive sites in my area, so the rocks are really the worst of my problems haha.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom