Handheld Primary Light (Cave)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tbone1004

Technical Instructor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Greenville, South Carolina, United States
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I have the bigblue TL4800. I like it quite a bit. On the highest setting it's comparable in intensity to my previous light, which was an expensive LM 20W canister light. I often use it on the 2nd highest setting, which gives it almost 4 hours burn time. I switch out the battery between dives.
or spend the same amount of money and buy the LX20+ which has the same output over the duration as the TL4800 does and comes from a reputable manufacturer that doesn't lie about their product performance and uses standard 18650's instead of proprietary battery packs...

OP
Ian Fatzinger

Ian Fatzinger

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
or spend the same amount of money and buy the LX20+ which has the same output over the duration as the TL4800 does and comes from a reputable manufacturer that doesn't lie about their product performance and uses standard 18650's instead of proprietary battery packs...
I've heard so many issues about the LX20+, though. Especially about having to shim the batteries, flooding, mid-dive shutting off due to battery contact

tbone1004

Technical Instructor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Greenville, South Carolina, United States
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I've heard so many issues about the LX20+, though. Especially about having to shim the batteries, flooding, mid-dive shutting off due to battery contact
can't say I've had those issues with either of mine and they're probably 300 or so dives in at this point

Whitrzac

Contributor
Reaction score
From who? lol
They're one of the most common hanhelds out there

OP
Ian Fatzinger

Ian Fatzinger

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
From who? lol
They're one of the most common hanhelds out there
A lot of people on SB and the likes. Usually the people who have problems are more likely to post than those that work perfectly. Glad to hear it's a good light!

Capt Jim Wyatt

Hanging at the 10 Foot Stop
Staff member
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I have never heard of or experienced any of those issues with the LX20+.

I use the LX20+ as my primary cave light. Cave diving is about the only diving I do now but it would be great for wreck and night diving too.

Ontwreckdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives

OP
Ian Fatzinger

Ian Fatzinger

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499