Hamstring Pull and Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ibj40

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Searched the Diving Medicine forum, and couldn't find anything specific to this topic, and I apologize if there's one in here.

I pulled a hamstring running just before Christmas. Went to my doc, and he confirmed it, and I am set up for therapy starting today.

I am currently wearing a compression sleeve on my thigh during the day, and sitting on a heating pad (off and on) during the evenings, as well as walking (slowly) several times a week (all of this is consistent with my doctor's orders).

I previously had a sciatic nerve episode (in opposite leg from hamstring), and thought I had rehabbed back from it (was back to running four miles twice a week, and walking 2-3 miles most off-days), and then this.

My question is: Will diving (finning, climbing a ladder back into a boat, etc.) have negative implications to my hamstring? We are planning a dive trip for later in the Spring. Not sure my therapists will be sensitive to the stresses of Scuba diving, so thought I'd try to get some advice here. Dove several times after sciatic nerve incident (following rehab), with no negative side effects.

Thanks, in advance!

If you can run, you can scuba dive.

If you can get up and walk around you will be fine in the water its getting to the water and out of the water that might be an issue.

Try this on for size. Put on all of your gear minus your tank. Can you do a standing lunge without complications? If so put on the tank with the gear and try again? If you with no issues then you should be able to enter and exit the water with your gear. If you can not then you need to wait.

Groin pulls suck and can take some time to heal. YMMV

Bummer, ibj40,

You might want to go with donning your BC and tank after entering the water and doffing it before leaving the water.

It may also be helpful to thoroughly warm up the hamstring by light movement/exercise for at least 5 minutes prior to diving, gently stretch the hamstring both before and after diving, and make sure that thermal protection is adequate to keep the affected area from chilling excessively.

You make no mention of medication to reduce inflammation and pain. If you are on none, might want to discuss this with your doctor.

Of course you should clear your diving plans with your treating doc. Also might want to run it by your physical therapist.

Best of luck.

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom