Hammerheads in Banda ... calendar window?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

highdesert

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Greetings -

Simple question ... looking for an authoritative reply on the best season for hammerheads in Banda. If you have done this personally, when did you go, what dive op did you use, and were you satisfied with your trip there?

Thanks!

I bumped this back up to the top, hoping that dirtfarmer will chime in. I think November time was mentioned, here: Does anyone carry back up SPG / computer or any other gear?

Also Dolphin McAir DM from Mermaid 1 was there & mentioned it to me. That is why I'm chartering La Galigo Liveaboard to go there in November 2017 and hired him as one of the DM to locate the dive site. Here is what I post about the Banda sea trip: One space on La Galigo Liveaboard to Banda & Raja Ampat in Nov 2017 with 15% discount

Here is a cool video of the schooling Banda hammerhead sharks from Black Manta Liveaboard, that you may want to inquire directly:

Last edited:
Most boats are there in October/November when they transition to Raja. They saw them last year during this time period. We were there in December and did not see them but didn't go down to Nils since we were crossing from Ambon to Raja.

I was on the Black Manta crossing trip from Ambon to Sorong last early November and we saw them. They also were there in October, from reports of other boats.
We did 3 dives a day there, you swim out into the blue and keep your eyes open waiting for that moment. Then if your me you screw up your video cause your so damn excited. Diving out in the blue is a bit freaky, your only point of refrence is other divers, some can get vertigo. I would focus on small specs of algea to avoid it when i didnt have other divers in view.The first dive of the day we tended to see them in twos and threes, then the second a few more, and sometimes we would see them over the reef. Then the much anticipated 3rd dive right before sundown is when your best chance at big schools comes. Who knows why they come up in large numbers at that time? But at that time we saw them in large numbers. The schools would be about 30-40 in size and it was really amazing.
That crossing trip is really epic, besides the hammerheads, there are some really nice reefs, where I was lucky enough to see some barrel sponges spawning. And Manuk Island in the morning is really spectacular, Manuk means bird and in the morning the seabirds start taking off circling and heading out to sea for the day. Manuk is also is known for the large number of sea snakes there, and yes I can vouch for that fact. I was originally a bit nervous as I'm not a huge fan of snakes, but curious as they are I found myself enamoured with them. Another priceless moment was when the Black Manta was bringing a new outboard for a village and we were greeted with songs, food, and huge smiles and thankyous.
We were blessed with really calm seas, even glassy at times, frequent spotting of whales and dolphins, and some really epic dives.

I was on the Black Manta crossing trip from Ambon to Sorong last early November and we saw them. They also were there in October, from reports of other boats.
We did 3 dives a day there, you swim out into the blue and keep your eyes open waiting for that moment. Then if your me you screw up your video cause your so damn excited. Diving out in the blue is a bit freaky, your only point of refrence is other divers, some can get vertigo. I would focus on small specs of algea to avoid it when i didnt have other divers in view.The first dive of the day we tended to see them in twos and threes, then the second a few more, and sometimes we would see them over the reef. Then the much anticipated 3rd dive right before sundown is when your best chance at big schools comes. Who knows why they come up in large numbers at that time? But at that time we saw them in large numbers. The schools would be about 30-40 in size and it was really amazing.
That crossing trip is really epic, besides the hammerheads, there are some really nice reefs, where I was lucky enough to see some barrel sponges spawning. And Manuk Island in the morning is really spectacular, Manuk means bird and in the morning the seabirds start taking off circling and heading out to sea for the day. Manuk is also is known for the large number of sea snakes there, and yes I can vouch for that fact. I was originally a bit nervous as I'm not a huge fan of snakes, but curious as they are I found myself enamoured with them. Another priceless moment was when the Black Manta was bringing a new outboard for a village and we were greeted with songs, food, and huge smiles and thankyous.
We were blessed with really calm seas, even glassy at times, frequent spotting of whales and dolphins, and some really epic dives.

Speaking of Manuk Island's sea snake, here is Jonathan Bird video of it & the impression of what the Liveaboard crossing from Sorong to Alor, passing Manuk Island, which will be my next bucket list trip (2018?)

I almost forgot, the epicness wasnt limited to the Banda Sea. At the end of our trip we spent 3 days diving in the south of Raja Ampat. Truly amazing and spectacular. I was really glad to have gone over the top and did another 10 day trip thru all of Raja Ampat as I was celebrating turning 50 and I figured what the hell why not.

I knew you would get excited & posted your comment here, when you see "Hammerhead in Banda" popped up in the new post :)

Speaking of South Raja Ampat, my favorite site in Misool area is Magic Mountain, where I saw the Oceanic Manta & school of jackfish in the cleaning station.

I knew you would get excited & posted your comment here, when you see "Hammerhead in Banda" popped up in the new post :)

Speaking of South Raja Ampat, my favorite site in Misool area is Magic Mountain, where I saw the Oceanic Manta & school of jackfish in the cleaning station.

Oh yeah I was excited.

Magic Mountain is a Epic site. How can you not find Oceanic Mantas not epic?
It's hard for me to pick a fave, when I surfaced after my first dive on Boo Windows I was blown away. The other well traveled divers agreed with me, ABSOLUTELY SPECTACULAR!
The whole Missol area is filled with amazing dives

Greetings -

Simple question ... looking for an authoritative reply on the best season for hammerheads in Banda. If you have done this personally, when did you go, what dive op did you use, and were you satisfied with your trip there?

Thanks!

Been there November 14. Had a great time with Bluemotion. Here is the link

Banda island- a great spot if you manage to get there !!

the transportation to Banda from Ambon seem due to a new ferry faster and more reliable now.

Back
Top Bottom